1852 in New Zealand
The estimated population of New Zealand at the end of 1852 is 63,100 Māori and 27,633 non-Māori.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
With the passing by the Parliament of the United Kingdom of New Zealand Constitution Act 1852 the way is set for New Zealand’s first general election. It will be held on 1 October 1853. (see also 1846).
- Chief Justice — William Martin
- Lieutenant Governor, New Munster — Edward John Eyre
- Lieutenant Governor, New Ulster — Robert Henry Wynyard
Main centre leaders
- At the second election for the Council of the Borough of Auckland insufficient councillors are elected and the Council ceases functioning.
- 19 January (or 25 December, 1851) — The Governor Wynyard, the first steamer built in New Zealand, is launched at Freemans Bay, Auckland.
- 3 June: The Guardian and Canterbury Advertiser starts publication but ceases after less than four months, on 16 September.
- 4 August: The Taranaki Herald starts publication. It will move to daily publishing in 1877. From 1935 until 1989 (when it will cease publication) it will be New Zealand's oldest newspaper.
Appointments and awards
- Alfred L. Beattie, locomotive engineer/designer.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Statistics New Zealand has collated estimates from a number of sources (interpolating where necessary) at "Long-term data series". Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14., in particular "A1.1 Total population.xls" (Excel). Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- New Zealand Parliament - Parliament timeline
- History of Auckland City: Chapter 1
- Roadworks KRoad: Karangahape Road History
- Hand coloured lithograph of the Auckland waterfront in 1852 featuring the Governor Wynyard
- Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand - Shipbuilding
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical Publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 12. Archived from the original on 25 November 2007.
- "Taranaki Herald". National Library of New Zealand.