1857 in New Zealand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1857 in New Zealand|
|Other years in New Zealand|
|1854 • 1855 • 1856 • 1857 • 1858 • 1859 • 1860|
The estimated population of New Zealand at the end of 1857 is 57,150 Māori and 49,802 non-Māori.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
The 2nd Parliament continues.
- Speaker of the House — Sir Charles Clifford
- Premier — Edward Stafford.
- Minister of Finance — William Richmond
- Chief Justice — William Martin resigns on 12 June. Hon George Arney is appointed on 2 September but does not arrive until the next year.
- 7 February: The Auckland Register begins publishing. It ends in 1862.
- 14 May: The Taranaki News publishes its first issue. It becomes the Taranaki Daily News in 1885, and continues to publish today[update].
- 24 September: The Hawke's Bay Herald and Ahuriri Advocate publishes its first issue. It becomes the Hawke's Bay Herald in 1858. The paper publishes weekly at first, becomes bi-weekly in 1861, and then daily in 1871. In 1937 it will merge with another paper to form the Hawke's Bay Herald-Tribune.
- 23 October: The Colonist publishes its first issue, in Nelson. The newspaper is published until 1920, when it is incorporated into The Nelson Evening Mail.
Appointments and awards
- Anglican Primate of New Zealand — George Selwyn (Bishop of New Zealand)
- Anglican Bishop of Christchurch — Henry Harper
- 20 August: James Carroll, politician.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Statistics New Zealand has collated estimates from a number of sources (interpolating where necessary) at "Long-term data series". Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14., in particular "A1.1 Total population.xls" (Excel). Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical Publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 11. Archived from the original on 25 November 2007.
- Bartle, Rhonda (8 February 2005). "An Abbreviated History in Ink". Puke Ariki.
- "Hawke's Bay Herald". National Library of New Zealand.
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical Publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 12. Archived from the original on 25 November 2007.
- E.R. Simmons, In Cruce Salus, A History of the Diocese of Auckland 1848 - 1980, Catholic Publication Centre, Auckland 1982,p. 145.
- Todd, S. (1976) Sporting Records of New Zealand. Auckland: Moa Publications. ISBN 0-908570-00-7
Media related to 1857 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons