1864 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
|See also:||1864 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1864
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1864 in Ireland.
- 1 January - Civil registry of births, deaths and marriages replaces parish church registers.
- 30 January - Opening of the National Gallery of Ireland in Dublin.
- May - Theobald Jones presents his Report on the progress made in collecting the Irish lichens to the Natural History Society of Dublin.
- Foundation of the Munster Bank, later rescued as the Munster & Leinster Bank, a constituent of Allied Irish Banks.
Arts and literature
- Sheridan Le Fanu publishes the Gothic locked room mystery-thriller Uncle Silas (serialized July–December in his Dublin University Magazine as "Maud Ruthyn and Uncle Silas"; published December as a three-volume novel by Richard Bentley in London).
- 13 February - Stephen Gwynn, journalist, writer, poet and Nationalist politician (died 1950).
- 22 February - Michael Donohoe, Democrat U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania (died 1958).
- 4 March - Daniel Mannix, Catholic clergyman, Archbishop of Melbourne for 46 years (died 1963).
- 5 May - Henry Hughes Wilson, British Field Marshal and Conservative Party politician, killed by the Irish Republican Army (died 1922).
- 11 May - Ethel Lilian Voynich, novelist and musician (died 1960).
- 16 July - Joseph O'Mara, opera singer (died 1927).
- 1 September - Roger Casement, British diplomat, nationalist, poet and Irish revolutionary, executed at Pentonville Prison (died 1916).
- 19 October - Thomas Pakenham, 5th Earl of Longford, peer and soldier (died 1915).
- 11 November - John Meredith, Australian Army Brigadier General (died 1942).
- 22 November - Sir William Moore, 1st Baronet, Unionist MP and Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland 1925-1937 (died 1944).
- 9 December - Willoughby Hamilton, tennis player, Wimbledon Champion in 1890 (died 1943).
- 21 December - James Whiteside McCay, Lieutenant General in the Australian Army, member of the Victorian and Australian Parliaments (died 1930).
Full date unknown
- William Gerard Barry, painter (died 1941).
- Denis Grimes, Limerick hurler (died 1920).
- Seán O'Mahony, Sinn Féin MP (died 1934).
- Moira O'Neill (Nesta Shakespear Higginson), poet (died 1955).
- J. Laurie Wallace, painter (died 1953).
- 10 January - Nicholas Callan, priest and scientist (born 1799).
- 20 May - John George Bowes, businessman and political figure in Canada East (b. c.1812).
- 4 July - Thomas Colley Grattan, writer (born 1792).
- 23 July - Thomas Laughnan, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Lucknow, India (born 1824).
- 27 July - Joseph Patrick Haverty, painter (born 1794).
- 21 November - Charles McNally, Bishop of Clogher 1844-1864 (born 1787).
- 30 November - Patrick Cleburne, major general in Confederate States Army in the American Civil War, killed at the Battle of Franklin (born 1828).
- 8 December - George Boole, mathematician (born 1815).
- 23 December - James Bronterre O'Brien, Chartist leader, reformer and journalist (born 1805).
- William Guy Wall, painter (born 1792).
Heron, Denis Caulfield (2007), Ireland in 1864, Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland, retrieved 13 August 2014