1872 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1872 in France.
- 27 November - Meteor shower display over France.
- Louis Ducos du Hauron creates the first color photograph.
- 16 January - Henri Büsser, composer and conductor (died 1973).
- 18 January - Emmanuel d'Orléans, noble from the House of Orléans (died 1931).
- 7 June - Rodolphe d'Erlanger, painter and musicologist (died 1932).
- 1 July - Louis Blériot, inventor, engineer and aviation pioneer (died 1936).
- 2 July - Gaëtan Gatian de Clérambault, psychiatrist (died 1934).
- 15 July - Jean Dargassies, racing cyclist (died 1965).
- 28 July - Albert Sarraut, politician, twice Prime Minister of France (died 1962).
Full date unknown
- Émile Armand, individualist anarchist (died 1962).
- Léon Bouly, inventor who devised and created the cinématographe (died 1932).
- Maurice de la Taille, priest and writer (died 1933).
- François-Victor Équilbecq, author (died 1917).
- Octave Denis Victor Guillonnet, painter (died 1967).
- Daniel Halévy, historian (died 1962).
January to June
- 6 February - Auguste Joseph Alphonse Gratry, author and theologian (born 1805).
- 31 March - Jules Guyot, physician and agronomist (born 1807).
- 5 April - Paul Auguste Ernest Laugier, astronomer (born 1812).
- 28 April - Louis Désiré Blanquart-Evrard, photographer (born 1802).
- 20 June - Elie Frédéric Forey, Marshal of France (born 1804).
- 27 June - Michel Carré, librettist (born 1821).
July to December
- 5 July - Charles-Pierre Denonvilliers, surgeon (born 1808).
- 4 October - Jean-Jacques Bourassé, priest, archaeologist and historian (born 1813).
- 21 October - Jacques Babinet, physicist, mathematician, and astronomer (born 1794).
- 23 October - Théophile Gautier, poet, novelist, journalist, dramatist and literary critic (born 1811).
- 29 October - Pierre Charles Fournier de Saint-Amant, chess master (born 1800).
- 6 December - Félix Archimède Pouchet, naturalist (born 1800).
- December - Jean-Baptiste Honoré Raymond Capefigue, historian and biographer (born 1801).