1872 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1862 . 1863 . 1864 . 1865 . 1866 . 1867 . 1868 ...
1869 1870 1871 -1872- 1873 1874 1875
... 1876 . 1877 . 1878 . 1879 . 1880 . 1881 . 1882 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- February 20 - The Metropolitan Museum of Art opens in New York City.
- June - American-born painter James McNeill Whistler exhibits Arrangement in Grey and Black: The Artist's Mother, painted the previous year, at the 104th Royal Academy summer exhibition in London after the curator Sir William Boxall threatens to resign from the R.A. if it is rejected.
- William De Morgan sets up an art pottery in Chelsea, London.
- First "Wallace fountains" to the design of sculptor Charles-Auguste Lebourg installed in Paris.
- Edward Lear acquires his cat Foss.
- Peter Nicolai Arbo - Åsgårdsreien
- Caspar Buberl - Fulton Memorial (New York City)
- Pierre Puvis de Chavannes
- Gustave Doré - illustrations to London: A Pilgrimage (published)
- Frank Duveneck - The Whistling Boy (Cincinnati Art Museum)
- William Powell Frith - The Fair Toxophilites
- John Gast - American Progress
- Jean-Léon Gérôme - Pollice Verso ("Thumbs Down")
- Ivan Kramskoi
- Édouard Manet
- Claude Monet - Impression, soleil levant ("Impression, Sunrise") - dated 1872, but probably created in 1873
- Berthe Morisot
- Vasily Perov - Portrait of Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Illarion Pryanishnikov - Empties
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir - Claude Monet Reading
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti - Beata Beatrix (Tate Britain).
- Alfred Sisley
- James Tissot - Bad News
- Wilhelm Trübner - Auf dem Kanapee ("On the Sofa") (Nationalgalerie, Berlin)
- Frederick Walker - The Harbour of Refuge
- James McNeill Whistler - Arrangement in Gray: Portrait of the Painter
- January 16 - Edward Gordon Craig, English theatrical designer (died 1966)
- February 25 - Alice Bailly Swiss painter and multimedia artist (died 1938)
- March 7 - Piet Mondrian, Dutch painter (died 1944)
- April 18 - Beta Vukanović, Serbian painter and centenarian (died 1972)
- August 21 - Aubrey Beardsley, English painter and illustrator (died 1898)
- April 2 - Samuel F. B. Morse, American inventor and painter of portraits and historic scenes (born 1791)
- April 10 - John Mix Stanley, American painter (born 1814)
- May 24 - Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld, German painter (born 1794)
- August 8 - Eduard Magnus, German painter (born 1799)
- October 29 - Thomas Combe, English printer and patron of the arts (born 1796)
- November 5 - Thomas Sully, English-born American portrait painter (born 1783)
- December 23 - George Catlin - American painter who specialized in portraits of Native Americans in the Old West (born 1796)
- date unknown