1878 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1868 . 1869 . 1870 . 1871 . 1872 . 1873 . 1874 ...
1875 1876 1877 -1878- 1879 1880 1881
... 1882 . 1883 . 1884 . 1885 . 1886 . 1887 . 1888 ...
In poetry: 1875 1876 1877 -1878- 1879 1880 1881
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1878 in literature involved some significant literary events and new works.
- January 28 - The Yale News becomes the first daily college newspaper in the United States.
- June - Robert Louis Stevenson's three linked detective fiction short stories The Suicide Club featuring Prince Florizel begin publication in The London Magazine.
- June 10 - Konrad Korzeniowski, the future English-language novelist Joseph Conrad, sets foot on British soil for the first time, at Lowestoft from the SS Mavis.
- August 3 - Guy de Maupassant writes to Gustave Flaubert, complaining about the monotony of his life and his new job as an employee of the Ministry of Public Instruction in France.
- October - The Peabody Institute Library (later George Peabody Library) opens to the public in Baltimore, Maryland.
- December 30 - Henry Irving's production of Hamlet, with himself in the title rôle playing opposite Ellen Terry as Ophelia, opens at the Lyceum Theatre, London (of which they have taken over the management).
- Undated - The Johns Hopkins University Press is established in Baltimore, Maryland, as the "University Publication Agency", making it the oldest continuously operating university press in the United States.
- W. Harrison Ainsworth - Beatrice Tyldesley
- Walter Besant and James Rice - The Monks of Thelema
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon - An Open Verdict
- Wilkie Collins - The Haunted Hotel
- Theodor Fontane - Vor dem Sturm (Before the Storm)
- Anna Katharine Green - The Leavenworth Case
- Thomas Hardy - The Return of the Native (serialised in Belgravia)
- Henry James
- William Hurrell Mallock
- Hector Malot - Sans Famille
- Margaret Oliphant - The Primrose Path
- José Maria de Eça de Queiroz - O Primo Basílio
- Anne Eliza Smith - Seola
- Harriet Beecher Stowe - Poganuc People: Their Loves and Lives
- Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina (book publication)
- Jules Verne - Un capitaine de quinze ans (Dick Sand, A Captain at Fifteen)
- Émile Zola - Une Page d'amour
- José Echegaray - En el pilar y en la cruz ("The Stake and the Cross")
Main article: 1878 in poetry
- Richard Jefferies - The Gamekeeper at Home
- Friedrich Nietzsche - Human, All Too Human (Menschliches, Allzumenschliches)
- Robert Louis Stevenson - An Inland Voyage
- January 6 - Carl Sandburg, American poet, historian (died 1967)
- January 12 - Ferenc Molnár, born Ferenc Neumann, Hungarian-born writer (died 1952)
- June 1 - John Masefield, English poet (died 1967)
- June 12 - James Oliver Curwood, American author (died 1927)
- September 20 - Upton Sinclair, American author (died 1968)
- November 25 - Georg Kaiser, German dramatist (died 1945
- January 19 - Ede Szigligeti, Hungarian dramatist (born 1814)
- February 1 - George Cruikshank, English book illustrator (born 1792)
- April 24 - Heinrich Leo, Prussian historian (born 1799)
- April 25 - Anna Sewell, English novelist (born 1820)
- May 28 - Sophie de Choiseul-Gouffier, Lithuanian novelist (born 1790)
- July 1 - Catherine Winkworth, English translator (born 1827)
- August 13
- November 17 - Karl Theodor Keim, German theologian (born 1825)
- December 5 - George Whyte-Melville, Scottish-born novelist (born 1821) (hunting accident)
- December 19 - Bayard Taylor, American poet (born 1825)
- Julian Barnes, "On We Sail", London Review of Books, 5 November 2009. Accessed 5 January 2014
- "History". The George Peabody Library. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University. 2005. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- Shearer, Moira (1998). Ellen Terry. Pocket Biographies. Stroud: Sutton Publishing. p. 69. ISBN 0-7509-1526-9.
- Camhi, Jeff (2013). A Dam in the River: Releasing the Flow of University Ideas. New York: Algora Publishing. p. 149. ISBN 978-0-87586-989-6. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Theodor Fontane: Vor dem Sturm. Roman aus dem Winter 1812 auf 13. Hrsg. von Christine Hehle. Berlin 2011 (Große Brandenburger Ausgabe, Das erzählerische Werk, Bd. 1 und 2). ISBN 978-3-351-03114-5 (German)
- Piero Gondolo della Riva. Bibliographie analytique de toutes les œuvres de Jules Verne. Tome I. Société Jules Verne. 1977.
- id=jD2gHAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y Oscar Wilde, "Ravenna". Accessed 5 January 2014