1885 Wimbledon Championships
|1885 Wimbledon Championships|
London, United Kingdom
|William Renshaw / Ernest Renshaw|
The 1885 Wimbledon Championships took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 4 July until 17 July. It was the 9th staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the first Grand Slam tennis event of 1885. There was a change in the draw method, to use the Bagnall Wild system, in which all byes were restricted to the opening round, instead of being distributed through all the rounds until the final. There were 3500 spectators for the Challenge Round.
- 2010 Wimbledon Compendium, by Alan Little (The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London)
- "Grand Slam Tournaments – Wimbledon" (PDF). usta.com. United States Tennis Association. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "Roll of Honour – Women's Singles". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "Roll of Honour – Men's Doubles". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- 100 Years of Wimbledon, by Lance Tingay (Guinness Superlatives, Ltd. 1977)
1884 U.S. National Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1885 U.S. National Championships