1886 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1886 in France.
- 15 May - Portugal and France agree to regulate the borders of their colonies in Guinea.
Arts and literature
- 30 November - Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- Georges Seurat finishes painting Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte some time this year.
January to June
- 5 March - Léon Mathot, actor and film director (died 1968).
- 7 March - Jacques Majorelle, painter (died 1962).
- 7 March - René Thomas, motor racing driver (died 1975).
- 29 March - Paul Amiot, actor (died 1979).
- 15 April - Amédée Ozenfant, cubist painter (died 1966).
- 19 April - Hermine David, painter (died 1970).
- 25 April - Marie Brémont, supercentenarian, the oldest recognized person in the world from November 2000 until her death (died 2001).
- 29 April - Count Renaud de la Frégeolière, author and first president of the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (died 1981).
- 3 May - Marcel Dupré, organist, pianist and composer (died 1971).
- 24 May - Paul Paray, conductor, organist and composer (died 1979).
July to December
- 16 July - Pierre Benoit, novelist (died 1962).
- 3 August - Henri Debain, actor (died 1983).
- 8 September - Marguerite Jeanne Carpentier, painter and sculptor (died 1965).
- 15 September - Paul Lévy, mathematician (died 1971).
- 16 September - Jean Arp, sculptor, painter, poet and abstract artist (died 1966).
- 30 September - Gaston Ramon, veterinarian and biologist (died 1963).
- 3 October - Alain-Fournier, author and soldier (died 1914).
- 4 October - Laurent Eynac, politician and Minister (died 1970).
- 6 November - André Marty, leading figure in the French Communist Party (died 1956).
- 15 November - René Guénon, orientalist and philosopher (died 1951).
- 30 December - Henri Chapron, automobile coachbuilder (died 1978).
Full date unknown
- 23 January - Jean Baptiste Prosper Bressant, actor (born 1815).
- 27 April - Eugène Isabey, painter, draftsman, and printmaker (born 1803).
- 17 March - Pierre-Jules Hetzel, editor and publisher (born 1814).
- 23 May - Pierre Édouard Frère, painter (born 1819).
- 12 July - Ferdinand Berthier, deaf educator, intellectual and political organiser (born 1803).
- 14 August - Edmond Laguerre, mathematician (born 1834).
- 8 September - Maurice Jean Auguste Girard, entomologist (born 1822).
- 16 September - Louis, duc de Decazes, statesman (born 1819).
- 26 September - Hippolyte Castille, writer (born 1820).
- 14 November - Alexandre-Emile Béguyer de Chancourtois, geologist and mineralogist (born 1820).