1887 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1877 . 1878 . 1879 . 1880 . 1881 . 1882 . 1883 ...
1884 1885 1886 -1887- 1888 1889 1890
... 1891 . 1892 . 1893 . 1894 . 1895 . 1896 . 1897 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1887 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- Construction work begins on
- March 29 - Peebles Old Parish Church, Scotland, designed by William Young (dedicated).
- April 23 - Metropolitan Cathedral, Iași, Romania, completed by Alexandru Orăscu (dedicated).
- June 20 - Victoria Terminus of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway in Bombay, designed by Frederick William Stevens.
- December 1 - Raffles Hotel, Singapore.
- Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral, designed by Pugin & Pugin.
- New façade of Florence Cathedral, designed by Emilio De Fabris (died 1883).
- Basilica of St. Nicholas, Amsterdam, designed by Adrianus Bleijs.
- St Paul's Church, Aarhus, designed by Vilhelm Theodor Walther.
- Cluj-Napoca Neolog Synagogue, Romania, designed by engineer Izidor Hegner.
- Rebuilt Gare Saint-Lazare terminus of Chemins de fer de l'Ouest in Paris, designed by Juste Lisch.
- MacGibbon and Ross begin publication of The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland, from the twelfth to the eighteenth century.
- G. A. Wayss publishes Das System Monier-Eisengerippe mit Cementumhüllung-in seiner Anwendung auf das gesammte Bauwesen in Berlin, one of the first books on reinforced concrete (using Joseph Monier's system).
- March 21 - Erich Mendelsohn, German-Jewish Expressionist architect (died 1953)
- August 30 - Eric Francis, British architect and painter (died 1976)
- October 6 - Le Corbusier, Swiss-French architect, designer, painter, urban planner, writer, and pioneer of modern architecture (died 1965)
- April 13 - David Stirling, Scottish-born Canadian architect (born 1822)
- May 8 - Thomas Stevenson, Scottish lighthouse engineer (born 1818)
- May 21 - Sir Horace Jones, English architect (born 1819)
- "Advisory Body Evaluation: Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus (India)" (PDF). UNESCO - World heritage - documents associated with listing. UNESCO. 2004. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- "Erich Mendelsohn". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved January 15, 2012.
- "1887 in architecture". Dictionary of Canadian Biography (online ed.). University of Toronto Press. 1979–2005.