1888 in South Africa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1888 in South Africa|
|1885 1886 1887 « 1888 » 1889 1890 1891|
- 30 – Cecil Rhodes and the British South Africa Company obtains Matabeleland from Lobengula in the Rudd Concession, named after Charles Rudd.
- Unknown date
- The Eastern Province Rugby Union is founded.
- The town of Amersfoort in what is now Mpumalanga Province is established around a Dutch Reformed Church built in 1876.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- 26 April – William Wellington Gqoba, author, dies at Lovedale near Alice.
- 9 July – Johannes Henricus Brand, the 4th president of the Orange Free State.
Two new Cape gauge locomotive types enter service on the Natal Government Railways (NGR):
- The locomotive Havelock, built in the Durban workshops and known as "Hairy Mary" during the South African War, is the first locomotive to be designed and built in South Africa.:90–91
- The first five of 100 Class D 4-8-2 tank locomotives, the first in the world to have the Mountain type wheel arrangement.:90–93