1889 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1889 in France.
- 31 March - The Eiffel Tower is inaugurated.
- 6 May - Exposition Universelle opens in Paris, along with the Eiffel Tower.
- 22 September - Legislative election held.
- 6 October - Legislative election held.
- 31 October - Exposition Universelle closes.
- Moulin Rouge built and opened in Paris.
- Defense minister Georges Boulanger attempts a coup but is forced to flee the country.
January to June
- 20 January - Jean Odin, politician (died 1975).
- 2 February - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny, general, military hero of World War II (died 1952).
- 24 February - Suzanne Bianchetti, actress (died 1936).
- 17 April - Marcel Boussac, entrepreneur and horse breeder (died 1980).
- 17 May - Marcel Moyse, flautist (died 1984).
- 24 May - Théophile Marie Brébant, military officer (died 1965).
July to December
- 5 July - Jean Cocteau, poet, novelist, dramatist, designer and filmmaker (died 1963).
- July - Georges Bonnet, politician (died 1973).
- 7 August - Georges Thierry d'Argenlieu, Admiral (died 1964).
- 7 August - Léon Brillouin, physicist (died 1969).
- 20 October - Suzanne Duchamp, painter (died 1963).
- 25 October - Abel Gance, film director, producer, writer, actor and editor (died 1981).
- 6 November - Gabriel Hanot, soccer player and journalist (died 1968).
- 26 November - Albert Dieudonné, actor, screenwriter, film director and novelist (died 1976).
- 5 December - Marie-Louise Damien, singer and actress (died 1978).
- 7 December - Gabriel Marcel, philosopher (died 1973).
- 17 December - Antoine Béthouart, General (died 1982).
Full date unknown
- 16 March - Edmond Henri Adolphe Schérer, theologian, critic and politician (born 1815).
- 9 April - Jean-Baptiste Arban, cornetist and conductor (born 1825).
- 23 April - Jules Amédée Barbey d'Aurevilly, novelist and short story writer (born 1808).
- 10 July - Joseph Projectus Machebeuf, French-American Catholic missionary and the first Bishop of Denver (born 1812).
- 19 August - Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam, writer (born 1838).
- 29 September - Louis Faidherbe, general and colonial administrator (born 1818).
- 22 October - Philippe Ricord, physician (born 1800).
- 25 October - Émile Augier, dramatist (born 1820).
- 14 December - Jean Baptiste Lucien Buquet, entomologist (born 1807).
- 31 December - Ernest Cosson, botanist (born 1819).