1889 in film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in film (table)|
|... 1879 . 1880 . 1881 . 1882 . 1883 . 1884 . 1885 ...
1886 1887 1888 -1889- 1890 1891 1892
... 1893 . 1894 . 1895 . 1896 . 1897 . 1898 . 1899 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Eastman Kodak is the first company to begin commercial production of film on a flexible transparent base, celluloid.
- The first moving pictures developed on celluloid film are made in Hyde Park, London by William Friese Greene
- Wordsworth Donisthorpe invents the Kinesigraph, which photographs a round image on 68 mm film.
- William Dickson completes his work for Thomas Edison on the Kinetograph cylinder either in this year or 1890. Monkeyshines No. 1 becomes the first film shot on the system.
- Leisurely Pedestrians, Open Topped Buses and Hansom Cabs with Trotting Horses, a lost film directed by William Friese-Greene
- Monkeyshines No. 1 - contradictory sources indicate this was shot either in June 1889 or November 1890.
- February 3 - Carl Theodor Dreyer, Danish director
- February 8 - Siegfried Kracauer, German movie critic and journalist
- February 23 -
- April 16 - Charlie Chaplin, British actor and film-maker
- April 26 - Anita Loos – American writer and producer (died 1981)
- May 3 - Beulah Bondi – American actress (died 1981)
- May 20 - Karin Molander, Swedish actress
- May 31 - Athene Seyler, British actress
- June 11 - Wesley Ruggles, American movie director, producer
- June 15 - Salka Viertel, Austro-Hungarian actress and screenwriter.
- July 27 - Vera Karalli, Russian actress and ballerina
- August 8 - Hans Egede Budtz, Danish actor
- August 24 - Tom London, American actor
- November 10 - Claude Rains, British-American actor
- November 19 - Clifton Webb, American actor