1890 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1890 in France.
- 2 January - Steamship Persia wrecked off Corsica: 130 lives lost.
- 21 February - First Franco-Dahomean War begins.
- 1 March - Léon Bourgeois succeeds Ernest Constans as Minister of the Interior.
- 4 March - Battle of Cotonou, attack on French positions repulsed.
- 4 October - First Franco-Dahomean War ends in French victory.
Arts and literature
January to June
- 19 January - Élise Rivet, nun and World War II heroine (died 1945).
- 1 February - Germaine Lubin, soprano (died 1979).
- 24 March - Robert Schurrer, athlete and Olympic medallist (died 1972).
- 6 April - André-Louis Danjon, astronomer (died 1967).
- 29 May - Robert Desoille, psychotherapist (died 1966).
- 12 June - Théophile Alajouanine, neurologist (died 1980).
July to December
- 4 July - Jacques Carlu, architect and designer (died 1976).
- 27 July - Jacques Forestier, rheumatologist (died 1978).
- 15 August - Jacques Ibert, composer (died 1962).
- 23 August - Marcelle Lalou, Tibetologist (died 1967).
- 25 September - Honoré Barthélemy, cyclist (died 1964).
- 22 November - Charles de Gaulle, general, statesman, President (died 1970).
- 29 November - Maurice Genevoix, author (died 1980).
- 2 December - Jean Médecin, lawyer and politician (died 1965).
- 25 December - André Lesauvage, sailor and Olympic gold medallist (died 1971).
Full date unknown
- Jules Gros, Breton linguist (died 1992).
- Rita Jolivet, actress of American parentage (died 1971).
- Eugène Séguy, entomologist (died 1985).
- 25 January - Jean Gailhac, priest (born 1802).
- 13 July - Auguste Jean François Grenier, doctor and entomologist (born 1814).
- 29 July - Vincent van Gogh Dutch painter (born 1853)
- 18 August - Albert Dubois-Pillet, painter and army officer (born 1846).
- 19 October - Émile Léonard Mathieu, mathematician (born 1835).
- 11 November - Marie-Charles David de Mayréna, adventurer (born 1842).
- 19 December - Eugène Lami, painter and lithographer (born 1800).