1890 in association football
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
The following are the association football events of the year 1890 throughout the world.
- The first Scottish Football League competition is inaugurated. The ten founder members are Abercorn, Cambuslang, Celtic, Cowlairs, Dumbarton, Hearts, Rangers, St Mirren, Third Lanark and Vale of Leven. An eleventh team Renton was also a founder member but was subsequently expelled for professionalism, the game being officially amateur at the time.
- Royal Arsenal move from the Manor Ground to the nearby Invicta Ground.
Clubs founded in 1890 
- Chertsey Town F.C.
- Fleet Town F.C.
- Forest Green Rovers F.C.
- Grays Athletic F.C.
- Shildon A.F.C.
- Weymouth F.C.
Winners club national championship 
- England: Preston North End
International tournaments 
- 1890 British Home Championship (February 8 – April 5, 1890)
- April 11 – Felix von Heijden, Dutch footballer (d. 1982)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2011)|