1893 in Australia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
- Premier of New South Wales - George Dibbs
- Premier of South Australia - John Downer (until 16 June) then Charles Kingston
- Premier of Queensland - Samuel Griffith (until 27 March), Thomas McIlwraith (until 27 October) then Hugh Nelson
- Premier of Tasmania - Henry Dobson
- Premier of Western Australia - John Forrest
- Premier of Victoria - William Shiels (until 23 January) then James Patterson
- 30 January - The Federal Bank collapses, starting the Australian banking crisis of 1893.
- 4 February - 1893 Brisbane flood devastates Queensland.
- 14 June - Gold discovered at Kalgoorlie, Western Australia by Paddy Hannan and two others.
- Queensland is granted its Coat of Arms
- Coolgardie and Esperance are both declared as towns
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria spends time hunting kangaroos and emus in Australia
Arts and literature
Main article: 1893 in Australian literature
- 11 January - Charles "Chook" Fraser (died 1981), rugby league footballer and coach
- 13 January – Roy Cazaly (died 1963), Australian Rules footballer
- 8 October – William Morrison (died 1961), Governor General of Australia
- 2 December – Raphael Cilento (died 1985), medical administrator
- 9 December – Ivo Whitton (died 1967), golfer
- 4 September - Francis William Adams (born 1862), writer