1893 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1893 in France.
- 10 March - Côte d'Ivoire becomes a French colony.
- 16–17 August – Massacre of Italian workers of the Compagnie des Salins du Midi in Aigues-Mortes (France) by French villagers and workers. Anti-French riots erupt in Italy. In Rome the windows of the French Embassy were smashed and for a while the angry mob seemed to get out of hand.
- 20 August - Legislative election held.
- 3 September - Legislative election held.
- 10 October - First car number plates in Paris.
January to June 
- 3 February - Gaston Julia, mathematician (died 1978).
- 5 February - Arsène Roux, Arabist and Berberologist (died 1971).
- 15 March - Jules Moch, politician (died 1985).
- 21 March - Marcel Rey-Golliet, boxer (died 1967).
- 3 April - Bernard Faÿ, historian (died 1978).
- 17 April - Marguerite Broquedis, tennis player (died 1983).
- 12 May - René Mourlon, athlete and Olympic medallist (died 1977).
- 14 May - Louis Verneuil, playwright and screenwriter (died 1952).
July to December 
- 28 July - Alfred Eluère, rugby union player (died 1985).
- 15 August - Eugène Criqui, world champion boxer (died 1977).
- 15 August - Pierre Dac, humorist and French Resistance activist (died 1975).
- 17 August - Jean Laigret, biologist (died 1966).
- 19 October - Henri Mignet, aircraft designer and builder (died 1965).
- 1 November - Pierre Deley, pioneering pilot (died 1981).
- 5 November - Raymond Loewy, industrial designer (died 1986).
- 3 December - Edmond Decottignies, weightlifter and Olympic gold medallist (died 1963).
- 8 December - Pierre Etchebaster, real tennis player (died 1980).
- 31 December - Robert Jacquinot, cyclist (died 1980).
- 10 January - Alexis André, missionary priest in Canada (born 1832).
- 4 April - Alphonse Pyrame de Candolle, botanist (born 1806).
- 12 April - Alfred-Henri-Amand Mame, printer and publisher (born 1811).
- 16 August - Jean-Martin Charcot, neurologist and professor of anatomical pathology (born 1825).
- 17 October - Patrice de Mac-Mahon, duc de Magenta, general and politician, first President of the Third Republic (born 1808).
- 18 October - Charles Gounod, composer (born 1818).
- 4 November - Pierre Tirard, politician (born 1827).
- 8 November - Arnaud-Michel d'Abbadie, geographer (born 1815).
Full date unknown 
- Jacques-Marie-Frangile Bigot, naturalist and entomologist (born 1818).
- Joséphine-Félicité-Augustine Brohan, actress (born 1824).
- Nicolas Édouard Delabarre-Duparcq, military critic and historian (born 1819).
- Alphonse Beau de Rochas, engineer (born 1815).
- Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur, architect (born 1822).
- Auguste-Barthélemy Glaize, painter (born 1807).
- Gustave Nadaud, songwriter and chansonnier (born 1820).
- Félix Esquirou de Parieu, statesman (born 1815).