1893 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1883 . 1884 . 1885 . 1886 . 1887 . 1888 . 1889 ...
1890 1891 1892 -1893- 1894 1895 1896
... 1897 . 1898 . 1899 . 1900 . 1901 . 1902 . 1903 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- May 1 - The 1893 World's Fair, also known as the World's Columbian Exposition, opens to the public in Chicago, USA, with a Romanesque statue of Columbia overlooking the man-made lake. The first United States commemorative postage stamps are issued for the Exposition.
- June 14 - Opening of Shelley Memorial at University College, Oxford, designed by Basil Champneys with a reclining nude marble statue of Percy Bysshe Shelley by Edward Onslow Ford.
- June 29 - Unveiling of the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain at Piccadilly Circus in London, with a gilded aluminium statue of Anteros, designed by Alfred Gilbert.
- Ford Madox Brown completes painting the The Manchester Murals in Manchester Town Hall (England).
- The National Sculpture Society is founded in the United States.
- Alois Riegl's Stilfragen: Grundlegungen zu einer Geschichte der Ornamentik is published in Berlin.
- Henri Rousseau gives up his job as a Paris toll collector and moves to a studio in Montparnasse where he lives and paints full-time.
- December - Unter den Linden in Berlin holds an exhibition of Edvard Munch's work, including six paintings entitled Study for a Series: Love, beginning his Frieze of Life cycle.
- Lawrence Alma-Tadema - Unconscious Rivals
- Léon Bakst - Self-portrait
- Aubrey Beardsley - Illustrations to Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur (J. M. Dent)
- Henrique Bernardelli - Messalini
- Olga Boznańska - Self-portrait
- Edgar Bundy - Antonio Stradivari at work in his studio
- Edward Burne-Jones - Love Among the Ruins
- Mary Cassatt - The Child's Bath
- Paul Cézanne - Basket of Apples
- Frank Dicksee - The Funeral of a Viking
- Paul Gauguin - Portrait of the artist in a hat
- J. W. Godward
- A Priestess (nude version)
- Yes Or No
- Félix Resurrección Hidalgo - Adios del Sol
- Winslow Homer - The Fox Hunt
- Paul Jamin - Brennus and His Share of the Spoils
- Peder Severin Krøyer - Sommeraften ved Skagen Sønderstrand med Anna Ancher og Marie Krøyer
- Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne - Statue of her mother Queen Victoria, in Kensington Gardens, London
- Albert Joseph Moore
- An Idyll
- The Loves of the Winds and the Seasons
- Edvard Munch
- Death in the Sickroom
- The Scream
- Starry Night
- Władysław Podkowiński - Frenzy of Exultations
- Odilon Redon - Sita (pastel)
- Alfred Stieglitz - photographs
- Franz Stuck - The Sin
- Joseph-Noël Sylvestre - François Rude working on the Arc de Triomphe
- Abbott Handerson Thayer - The Virgin
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - Jane Avril (poster)
- Henry Scott Tuke - August Blue
- Raja Ravi Varma - There Comes Papa
- Stanisław Wyspiański - Self-portrait
January to June
- January 13 - Chaim Soutine, painter (died 1943)
- March 3
- March 11 - Wanda Gag, children's author and artist (died 1946)
- March 29 - Dora Carrington, painter and designer (died 1932)
- April 9 - Charles E. Burchfield, American scene painter (died 1967)
- April 11 - John Nash, English painter, illustrator, and engraver (died 1978)
- April 20 - Joan Miró, Spanish painter, sculptor and ceramicist (died 1983)
- May 16 - Stella Bowen, painter (d.1947)
July to December
- July 3 - Sándor Bortnyik, Hungarian painter and graphic designer (died 1976)
- July 8 - Abraham Rattner, painter and camouflage specialist (died 1978)
- July 26 - George Grosz, painter and draftsman (died 1959)
- September 15 - Rene Paul Chambellan, sculptor (died 1955)
- October 1 - Marianne Brandt, painter, sculptor and designer (died 1983)
- October 8 - Orovida Camille Pissarro, English painter and etcher (died 1968)
- October 9 - Mário de Andrade, Brazilian writer and photographer (died 1945)
- November 19 - Conrad O'Brien-ffrench, British intelligence officer, mountaineer and painter (died 1986)
- December - Eugène Gabritschevsky, Russian biologist and artist (died 1979)
- December 29 - Berthold Bartosch, Bohemian animator (died 1968)
- Date unknown:
- January 30 - Prince Grigory Gagarin, soldier and painter (born 1811)
- February 21 - John Pettie, painter (born 1839)
- March 16 - William H. Illingworth, American photographer (born 1844)
- April 6 - George Vicat Cole, painter (born 1833)
- September 25 - Albert Joseph Moore, painter (born 1841)
- October 6 - Ford Madox Brown, painter (born 1821)
- October 10 - Barthélemy Menn, painter and draughtsman (born 1811)
- October 29 - Gustav Mützel, animal painter (born 1839)
- December 23 - Gunnar Berg, Norwegian painter (born 1863)
- date unknown - Gustav Fabergé, jeweler (born 1814)
- "The Shaftesbury Memorial, Piccadilly-Circus". The Times (33991) (London). 30 June 1893. p. 11.
- Stocker, Mark (2004). "Louise, Princess, duchess of Argyll (1848–1939)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/34601. Retrieved 2012-04-10. (subscription or UK public library membership required)