1894 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1894 in France.
- 15 February - 04:51 GMT, French anarchist Martial Bourdin attempts to destroy the Royal Greenwich Observatory, London, England with a bomb.
- 14 May - Meteor shower in Southern France.
- 22 June - Dahomey becomes a French colony.
- 23 June - International Olympic Committee is founded at the Sorbonne, Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin.
- 24 June - Assassination of Marie François Sadi Carnot, President of France.
- 15 August - Sante Geronimo Caserio is executed for the assassination of Marie François Sadi Carnot.
- 15 October - Alfred Dreyfus is arrested for spying: Dreyfus affair begins.
- 19 December - Trial and conviction of Alfred Dreyfus begins at the Cherche-Midi prison, and lasts four days.
- 22 December - Alfred Dreyfus is convicted of treason.
- 31 December - Dreyfus appeal to the military court of revision — a formality — is rejected.
- France and Russia become military allies, pledging to remain so as long as the Triple Alliance (1882) exists.
January to June
- 12 January - Georges Carpentier, boxer (died 1975).
- 18 January - Romain Bellenger, cyclist (died 1981).
- 6 February - André Marchal, organist and organ teacher (died 1980).
- 14 March - Marie-Simone Capony, teacher, fifth-oldest person in the world (died 2007).
- 26 March - Albert Achard, World War I flying ace (died 1972).
- 9 April - Jean Gounot, gymnast and Olympic medallist (died 1978).
- 23 April - Georges Renavent, actor (died 1969).
- 10 May - Paul Dujardin, water polo player and Olympic medallist (died 1959).
- 27 May - Louis-Ferdinand Céline, writer (died 1961).
- 2 June - Jean Gachet, boxer and Olympic medallist (died 1968).
- 13 June - Jacques Henri Lartigue, photographer and painter (died 1986).
July to September
- 25 July - Yvonne Printemps, singer and actress (died 1977).
- 19 August - André Lefèbvre, automobile engineer (died 1963).
- 27 August - André Lurçat, architect (died 1970).
- 3 September - Marie Dubas, music-hall singer and comedienne (died 1972).
- 3 September - André Hébuterne, painter (died 1992).
- 8 September - Andrée Vaurabourg, pianist and teacher (died 1980).
- 14 September - Pierre-Marie Théas, Bishop (died 1977).
- 15 September - Jean Renoir, film director (died 1979).
October to December
- 25 October - Claude Cahun, photographer and writer (died 1954).
- 30 October - Jean Rostand, biologist and philosopher (died 1977).
- 4 November - Gabriel Auphan, Admiral (died 1982).
- 7 December - Louis Béguet, rugby union player (died 1983).
- 25 December - Maurice Floquet, France's oldest man on record (died 2006).
Full date unknown
- Félix Amiot, aircraft constructor (died 1974).
- Paul Baudoin, politician and Minister (died 1964).
- René Laforgue, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst (died 1962).
- Georges Miquelle, cellist (died 1977).
- 3 February - Edmond Frémy, chemist (born 1814).
- 6 February - Maria Deraismes, author and pioneer for women's rights (born 1828).
- 9 February - Maxime Du Camp, writer and photographer (born 1822).
- 14 February - Jacques-Léonard Maillet, sculptor (born 1823).
- 25 June - Marie François Sadi Carnot, President of France (assassinated) (born 1837).
- 1 July - Jean-Joseph Carriès, sculptor, ceramist, and miniaturist (born 1855).
- 2 September - Pauline Duvernay, dancer (born 1813).
- 7 December - Ferdinand de Lesseps, developer of the Suez Canal (born 1805).
Full date unknown
- Jacques Claude Demogeot, man of letters (born 1808).
- Philippe Édouard Foucaux, Tibetologist (born 1811).
- Louis Figuier, scientist and writer (born 1819).
- Armand Gautier, painter and lithographer (born 1825).