1894 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1884 . 1885 . 1886 . 1887 . 1888 . 1889 . 1890 ...
1891 1892 1893 -1894- 1895 1896 1897
... 1898 . 1899 . 1900 . 1901 . 1902 . 1903 . 1904 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)|
- February – Oscar Wilde's play Salome is first published in English, with illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley.
- April – The Yellow Book (edited by Henry Harland with Aubrey Beardsley as art editor) begins publication by John Lane and Elkin Mathews – The Bodley Head in London.
- June 5 – Opening of Racławice Panorama in Lwów.
- August 23 – Jack Butler Yeats marries fellow artist Mary Cottenham White.
- The Della Robbia Pottery is established as part of the Arts and Crafts movement by Harold Rathbone and Conrad Dressler in Birkenhead, England.
- Lucien Pissarro sets up the Eragny Press in England.
- Bernard Berenson publishes The Venetian Painters of the Renaissance, with an Index to their Works.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2014)|
See also: Category:1894 sculptures
- Lawrence Alma-Tadema – Spring (Getty Museum, Los Angeles)
- Aubrey Beardsley – illustrations to Oscar Wilde's Salome
- Gustave Caillebotte – The garden of the Petit Gennevilliers in winter
- Gustaf Cederström – Among the Homeless
- Paul Cézanne – Rideau, Cruchon et Compotier
- Herbert Dicksee – Silent Sympathy
- Árpád Feszty – Arrival of the Hungarians (cyclorama)
- Paul Gauguin – Breton Peasants (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- J. W. Godward – A Priestess
- Jacek Malczewski – Melancholia
- Henri Matisse – Woman Reading
- Claude Monet – Rouen Cathedral (The Portal, Morning Sun; Harmony in Blue) (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Edvard Munch
- Ernest Normand – The White Slave
- Władysław Podkowiński – Ecstasy
- Henrietta Rae – Psyche at the Throne of Venus
- Tom Roberts – The Golden Fleece
- Georges Rochegrosse – The Knight of the Flowers (Parsifal) (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Aleksander Sochaczewski – Farewell Europe!
- Solomon Joseph Solomon – Mrs Patrick Campbell as Paula Tanqueray
- Marie Spartali Stillman
- Love Sonnets
- A Rose from Armida's Garden
- James Tissot
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec – Woman Pulling Up Her Stocking (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Fritz von Uhde – Noli me tangere
- Stanisław Wyspiański – Planty Park at Dawn
- 9 January – Reg Gammon, English painter and illustrator (died 1997)
- 8 March – Wäinö Aaltonen, Finnish sculptor (died 1966)
- 10 April – Ben Nicholson, English abstract painter (died 1982)
- 19 April – Adolf Wissel, German painter, an official artist of Nazism (died 1973)
- 17 May – Zora Petrović, one of the most significant representatives of Expressionism of color in Serbian art between two wars (died 1962)
- 13 June – Jacques Henri Lartigue, French photographer and painter (died 1986)
- 2 July – André Kertész, Hungarian-born photographer (died 1985)
- 14 July – Dave Fleischer, Austrian-American animator, film director, and film producer (died 1979)
- 26 August – Gala Dalí, model and wife of Salvador Dalí (died 1982)
- 3 September – André Hébuterne, French painter (died 1992)
- 7 October – Doris Huestis Speirs, Canadian painter, ornithologist and poet (died 1989)
- 14 October – E. E. Cummings, American poet and painter (died 1962)
- 8 November – Norman Rockwell, American painter and illustrator (died 1978)
- 8 December – James Thurber, American cartoonist (died 1961)
- date unknown
- January 10 – Carl Werner, German watercolour painter (born 1808)
- January 29 – Armand Gautier, French painter (born 1825)
- February 21 – Gustave Caillebotte, French painter and arts patron (born 1848)
- April 12 – Lucy Madox Brown, English painter (born 1843)
- April 27 – Charles Laval, French painter (born 1862)
- June 17 – William Hart, Scottish American landscape painter (born 1823)
- July 1 – Jean-Joseph Carriès, French sculptor and ceramicist (born 1850)
- July 25 – Per Hasselberg, Swedish sculptor (born 1855)
- August 5 – Giovanni Muzzioli, Italian painter (born 1854)
- August 30 – Joseph Robinson Kirk, Irish sculptor (born 1821)
- September 26 – Launt Thompson, Irish sculptor (born 1833)