1896 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1886 . 1887 . 1888 . 1889 . 1890 . 1891 . 1892 ...
1893 1894 1895 -1896- 1897 1898 1899
... 1900 . 1901 . 1902 . 1903 . 1904 . 1905 . 1906 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- January 24 - Painter Sir Frederic Leighton is created 1st Baron Leighton in the peerage of the United Kingdom one day before his death.
- February - Edvard Munch moves to Paris and concentrates on printmaking.
- December - Walter Crane publishes Of The Decorative Illustration of Books, Old and New (printed by the Chiswick Press).
- A bout of typhoid fever puts an end to Maurice de Vlaminck's career as a cyclist.
- William Merritt Chase founds Parsons The New School for Design as the Chase School of Art in Greenwich Village, New York.
- At Giverny Claude Monet begins painting his Mornings on the Seine series, which will continue through 1897.
- Interior design gallery Maison de l'Art Nouveau opens in Paris.
- Max Beerbohm publishes Caricatures of Twenty-five Gentlemen in London, his first collection of drawings.
- Bernard Berenson publishes Florentine Painters of the Renaissance.
- The Royal Society of Miniature Painters, Sculptors and Gravers is founded.
- Hubert von Herkomer is made a knight in the United Kingdom.
- Harry Bates - equestrian statue of Lord Roberts
- Aubrey Beardsley - Illustrations to Pope's The Rape of the Lock
- Alfred Boucher - Volubilis (sculpture)
- Lovis Corinth - Self-portrait with skeleton
- Paul Dubois - Baptism of Clovis (sculpture in front of Reims Cathedral)
- Thomas Eakins - The Pianist
- Julian Fałat - Self-portrait with palette
- J. W. Godward
- He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
- Akseli Gallen-Kallela - The Defense of the Sampo
- Niels Hansen Jacobsen - Trold, der vejrer kristenblod (sculpture)
- Fernand Khnopff
- The Caress of the Sphinx
- Posthumous portrait of Marguerite Landuyt
- Juan Luna - Ecce Homo
- Frederick McCubbin - On the wallaby track
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh - Stencilled friezes for Catherine Cranston's Buchanan Street tearooms, Glasgow
- Pablo Picasso - First Communion
- Camille Pissarro - Pont Boieldieu in Rouen, Rainy Weather
- Félicien Rops - Pornocrates (aquatint)
- François-Léon Sicard - Le Bon Samaritain (sculpture)
- Hugo Simberg - The Garden of Death (watercolor and gouache, Ateneum, Helsinki)
- Viktor Vasnetsov
- J. W. Waterhouse - Hylas and the Nymphs
- James McNeill Whistler
- Anders Zorn - Self-portrait with model
- January 4 - André Masson, French artist (died 1987)
- January 20 - Charles E. Brown, English aviation photographer (died 1982)
- April 14 - Alfredo Volpi, Brazilian Modernist painter (died 1988)
- July 2
- July 13 - Mordecai Ardon, Israeli painter (died 1992)
- August 4 - José Fioravanti, Argentine monumental sculptor (died 1977)
- August 14 - Eric Grate, Swedish sculptor, painter and graphics artist (died 1983)
- August 15 - Paul Outerbridge, photographer (died 1958)
- September 24 - Camilo Mori, Chilean painter (died 1973)
- Date unknown - Sava Šumanović, Serbian painter (d. 1942)
- January 4 - Henri Alfred Jacquemart, sculptor and animalier (born 1824)
- January 25 - Frederic Leighton, 1st Baron Leighton, painter and sculptor (born 1830)
- February 5 - Jean-Auguste Barre, French sculptor (born 1811)
- April 16 - Viktor Oskar Tilgner, sculptor (born 1844)
- May 3 - Alfred William Hunt, painter (born 1830)
- May 5 - Jacob Fjelde, sculptor (born 1855)
- July 7 - Erdmann Encke, sculptor (born 1843)
- August 13 - Sir John Everett Millais, pre-Raphaelite painter (born 1829)
- August 14 - Olin Levi Warner, sculptor (born 1844)
- November 9 - Napoleon Sarony, Canadian American portrait photographer (born 1821)