1899 in film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|List of years in film (table)|
|... 1889 . 1890 . 1891 . 1892 . 1893 . 1894 . 1895 ...
1896 1897 1898 -1899- 1900 1901 1902
... 1903 . 1904 . 1905 . 1906 . 1907 . 1908 . 1909 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
|Years in film|
- T. C. Hepworth invents Biokam, a 17.5 mm format which also is the first format to have a center perforation.
- John Alfred Prestwich invents a 13 mm amateur format.
- Jeanne d'Arc becomes the first film of considerable length (10 mins) to be shown entirely in colour.
- King John (a very short silent) becomes the first known film based on a Shakespeare play.
- November - The oldest surviving Japanese film, Momijigari, is shot by Tsunekichi Shibata in Tokyo as a record of kabuki actors Onoe Kikugorō V and Ichikawa Danjūrō IX performing a scene from the play Momijigari.
Films released in 1899
- The Biter Bit, produced by Bamforth & Co Ltd
- Cinderella, directed by Georges Méliès
- Cripple Creek Bar-Room Scene, produced by Edison Studios
- The Devil in a Convent, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Dreyfus Affair, a series of docudramas directed by Georges Méliès
- How Would You Like to Be the Ice Man?
- The Jeffries-Sharkey Fight, a documentary that is in all likelihood lost; running over two hours, this is one of the oldest feature films.
- King John, directed by William K. L. Dickson and Walter Pfeffer Dando; may be the first film adaptation of a William Shakespeare play.
- The Kiss in the Tunnel, directed by George Albert Smith; has been cited as cinema's first example of narrative editing.
- Major Wilson's Last Stand
- Robbing Cleopatra's Tomb, directed by Georges Méliès; most likely a lost film
- January 6 – Phyllis Haver, American actress (died 1960)
- January 30 - Martita Hunt, actress, 1969
- February 6 - Ramon Novarro, Mexican actor (died 1968)
- February 15 - Gale Sondergaard, American actress (died 1985)
- February 22 - George O'Hara, American actor, screenwriter (died 1966)
- March 14 - Ada Kramm, Norwegian actress (died 1981)
- March 15 - George Brent, American actor (died 1979)
- March 23 - Dora Gerson, German actress (died 1943)
- March 27 - Gloria Swanson, American actress (died 1983)
- May 10 - Fred Astaire, American actor/dancer (died 1987)
- June 15 - Einar Hanson, Swedish actor (died 1927)
- June 30 - Madge Bellamy, American actress (died 1990)
- July 1 - Charles Laughton, British-American actor (died 1962)
- July 7 - George Cukor, American director (died 1983)
- July 14 - Martha Mansfield, American actress (died 1923)
- July 17 - James Cagney, American actor (died 1986)
- August 13 - Alfred Hitchcock, British director (died 1980)
- August 19 - Colleen Moore, American actress (died 1988)
- August 28 - Charles Boyer, French actor (died 1978)
- November 11 - Pat O'Brien, American actor (died 1983)
- November 17 - Douglas Shearer, Canadian-born American pioneer motion-picture sound engineer (died 1971)
- December 16 - Noël Coward, English actor, playwright, and composer of popular music (died 1973)
- December 25 - Humphrey Bogart, American Actor, (died 1957)