1903 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1893 . 1894 . 1895 . 1896 . 1897 . 1898 . 1899 ...
1900 1901 1902 -1903- 1904 1905 1906
... 1907 . 1908 . 1909 . 1910 . 1911 . 1912 . 1913 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Isadora Duncan develops free dance, a dance technique influenced by the ancient Greeks and the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.
- With the support of Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Jacques Villon, Auguste Rodin and others, the first Salon d'Automne opens in Paris as a reaction to the conservatism of the Paris Salon.
- Koloman Moser and Josef Hoffmann found the Wiener Werkstätte in Vienna.
- Frederic Dorr Steele produces his first illustrations for Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories in the United States, for Collier's Weekly.
- Bernard Berenson publishes The Drawings of the Florentine Painters.
- Laura Johnson marries Harold Knight.
- During what is known as his "Blue Period", Pablo Picasso paints Portrait of Angel Fernández de Soto Tête de femme, Vieux guitariste aveugle (The Old Guitar Player), The Tragedy, and La vie, among others.
- Cassius Marcellus Coolidge produces several of his Dogs Playing Poker series
- Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema - Silver Favourites
- Pompeo Coppini - Confederate Soldiers monument, Texas State Capitol
- Evelyn De Morgan - The Love Potion
- J. W. Godward
- Wassily Kandinsky - The Blue Rider
- Paul Klee - Inventionen (Inventions) series of etchings, including Jungfrau im Baum (Virgin in a Tree) and Zwei Männer, einander in höherer Stellung vermutend, begegnen sich (Two Men Meet, Each Believing the Other to Be of Higher Rank)
- Peder Severin Krøyer - Sankthansbål på Skagen strand
- Margaret MacDonald - Opera Of The Winds (gesso panel)
- Jacek Malczewski
- Paula Modersohn-Becker - The Old Farmer
- Edvard Munch - Dr. Linde's Sons
- Camille Pissarro - Self-portrait (Tate Gallery)
- Sir Edward Poynter - Cave of the Storm Nymphs
- Tom Roberts - The Big Picture (formally, The Opening of the First Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia by H.R.H. The Duke of Cornwall and York (later H.M. King George V), May 9, 1901)
- Hugo Simberg - The Wounded Angel
- August Strindberg - Staden
- Abbott Handerson Thayer - Stevenson Memorial
- Félix Vallotton - The Five Painters
- J. W. Waterhouse
January to June
- January 10 - Barbara Hepworth, English sculptor and artist (d.1975)
- January 19 - Sir Alfred Beit, 2nd Baronet, British politician, art collector and philanthropist and honorary Irish citizen (d.1994)
- March 10 - Edward Bawden, English artist and illustrator (d.1989)
- March 14 - Adolph Gottlieb, American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor (d.1974)
- April 16 - Thomas Hennell, British painter (d.1945)
- June 6 - Ceri Richards, Welsh painter (d.1971)
- June 15 - Victor Brauner, Romanian painter (d.1966)
- June 21 - Al Hirschfeld, American caricaturist (d.2003)
July to December
- July 13 - Kenneth Clark, English author, museum director, broadcaster and art historian (d.1983)
- July 21 - Roy Neuberger, American art collector and patron (d.2010)
- July 22 - Eric Ravilious, English artist (d.1942)
- August 14 - Lodewijk Bruckman, Dutch magic realist painter (d.1995)
- August 24 - Graham Sutherland, English artist (d.1980)
- September 16 - Karl Zerbe, German-born painter (d.1972)
- September 20 - Gertrud Arndt, German photographer (d.2000)
- September 25 - Mark Rothko, Latvian-born American painter and printmaker (d.1970)
- September 29 - Walter Inglis Anderson, American painter (d.1965)
- October 15 - Otto Bettmann, German-born image archivist (d.1998)
- October 22 - Zlatyu Boyadzhiev, Bulgarian painter (d.1976)
- October 24 - Charlotte Perriand, French architect and designer (d.1999)
- October 25 - Harry Shoulberg, American expressionist painter] (d.1995)
- November 3 - Walker Evans, American photographer (d.1975)
- December 13 - John Piper, English painter (d.1992)
- December 24 - Joseph Cornell, American artist and sculptor (d.1972)
- December 30 - Candido Portinari, Brazilian painter (d.1962)
- date unknown - Bernard Lamotte, French illustrator, painter and muralist (d.1983)
- January 5 - Eleuterio Pagliano, Italian painter (b. 1826)
- January 24 - Charles Wynne Nicholls, genre painter (b. 1831)
- March 10 - Sophie Gengembre Anderson, genre painter (b. 1843)
- April 24 - Walter Osborne, Irish impressionist painter (b.1859)
- May 9 - Paul Gauguin, painter (b. 1848)
- June 8 - Robert Frederick Blum, American illustrator and lithographer (b. 1857)
- July 14 - James McNeill Whistler, American painter and etcher (b. 1834)
- August 17 - Hans Gude, painter (b. 1825)
- September 13 - Carl Schuch, painter (b. 1846)
- October 18 - John Callcott Horsley, painter (b. 1817)
- October 26 - János Fadrusz, Hungarian sculptor (b. 1858)
- November 12 or 13 - Camille Pissarro, Impressionist painter (b. 1830)