1908 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1898 . 1899 . 1900 . 1901 . 1902 . 1903 . 1904 ...
1905 1906 1907 -1908- 1909 1910 1911
... 1912 . 1913 . 1914 . 1915 . 1916 . 1917 . 1918 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1908 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- July 20 - Casa de Nariño, official residence of the President of Colombia, Bogotá, Colombia, designed by Gastón Lelarge.
- November 8 - Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Meurthe-et-Moselle in Nancy, France, designed by Emile Toussaint and Louis Marchal and featuring ironwork by Louis Majorelle and stained glass by Jacques Gruber.
- The Gamble House in Pasadena, California, designed by Henry Mather Greene and Charles Sumner Greene.
- British Medical Association Building, London, designed by Charles Holden with sculptures by Jacob Epstein, is completed.
- St. Andrew's United Church in Cairo, Egypt
- St. Patrick's Church, Toronto, Canada.
- Unity Temple, Oak Park, Illinois, USA, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Old Colony Club on Madison Avenue in New York City, designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White.
- Singer Building in New York City, designed by Ernest Flagg. It is the world's tallest building for a year. Demolished 1968.
- May 23 - Max Abramovitz, US architect (died 2004)
- December 22 - Max Bill, Swiss architect, painter, typeface designer, industrial designer and graphic designer (died 1994)
- January 2 - Alexander Davidson, Scottish architect active in Australia, 68
- February 3 - Ferdinand Meldahl, Danish architect best known for the reconstruction of Frederiksborg Palace, 80
- February 13 - Sir James Knowles, English architect and editor, 76
- September 15 - Friedrich Adler, German architect and archaeologist, 80
- November 26 - William Swinden Barber, English architect, 76
- "Casas Presidenciales". El Tiempo. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Buckle, Richard (1963). "1907-08: Strand Statues". Jacob Epstein, Sculptor. London: Faber. pp. 24–37.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Postal, Matthew A. (ed. and text); Dolkart, Andrew S. (text). (2009) Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.) New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1, p.78