1908 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1898 . 1899 . 1900 . 1901 . 1902 . 1903 . 1904 ...
1905 1906 1907 -1908- 1909 1910 1911
... 1912 . 1913 . 1914 . 1915 . 1916 . 1917 . 1918 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- February - The Ashcan School ("the Eight") give their first and only exhibition, at the Macbeth Gallery in New York.
- July - Allied Artists' Association holds its first exhibition, at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
- Hugh Lane founds the Dublin City Gallery, the world's first to display only modern art.
- Paul Ranson founds the Académie Ranson in Paris.
- Whitworth Art Gallery opens its first premises in Manchester (England).
- The British Medical Association Building, London, designed by Charles Holden with eighteen controversial nude sculptures by Jacob Epstein, is completed.
- Wassily Kandinsky settles in the Bavarian town of Murnau am Staffelsee and begins a series of paintings inspired by the local landscape.
- French art critic Louis Vauxcelles, reviewing an exhibition by Georges Braque, describes him as "reducing everything... to geometric schemas, to cubes."
- Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky produces a color photographic portrait of Leo Tolstoy (May).
- The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna rejects (for the second time) Adolf Hitler's application to study painting.
- Australian painter Arthur Streeton marries violinist Nora Clench.
See also: Category:1908 sculptures
- George Bellows – Steaming Streets
- László Beszédes – Joseph (slave) (sculpture)
- Pierre Bonnard – Woman in a Blue Hat
- Constantin Brâncuși
- The Kiss (sculpture)
- The Wisdom of the Earth (wood sculpture)
- Georges Braque – Le Viaduc de L'Estaque
- Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis
- André Derain – Landscape in Provence
- Herbert James Draper – The Water Nymph
- Thomas Eakins – William Rush and His Model (two versions)
- Florence Fuller – Portrait of Deborah Vernon Hackett (approximate date)
- J. W. Godward
- A Classical Lady
- A Grecian Girl
- Lewis Hine – Girl Worker in a Carolina Cotton Mill (photograph)
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner – Street, Dresden
- Gustav Klimt – The Kiss
- Laura Knight – The Beach
- Carl Larsson – Gustav Vasas intåg i Stockholm 1523 (Nationalmuseum)
- Henri Matisse
- Amedeo Modigliani – The Jewess
- Piet Mondrian – Avond
- Claude Monet
- Mikhail Nesterov – Portrait of B. M. Nesterov
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir – Portrait of Ambroise Vollard
- Carl Seffner – Statue of Johann Sebastian Bach (outside St. Thomas Church, Leipzig)
- Walter Sickert – The Camden Town Murder (group of paintings)
- Marianne Stokes – Madonna and Child
- Pedro Subercaseaux
- Sydney Curnow Vosper – Salem
- J. W. Waterhouse – Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May
January to June
- January 18 – Humberto Rosa, painter (d. 1982)
- February 12 – Jean Effel, French painter, caricaturist, illustrator and journalist (d. 1948)
- February 26 – Tex Avery, American animator, cartoonist, and director (d. 1980).
- February 28 – William Coldstream, English realist painter (d. 1987).
- February 29 – Balthus, French modern artist (d. 2001)
- March 13
- March 19 – George Rodger, English photographer (d.1995)
- May 9 – Mary Scheier, American sculptor and academic (d. 2007)
- May 16 – Anne Bonnet, Belgian painter (d. 1960)
- June 24 – Helen Lundeberg, painter (d. 1999)
July to December
- July 9 – Minor White, American photographer (d. 1976).
- July 22 – Claire Falkenstein, American sculptor and painter (d. 1997).
- August 22 – Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer (d. 2004).
- August 28 – Roger Tory Peterson, American naturalist, ornithologist, artist and educator (d. 1996).
- August 30 – Leonor Fini, Argentine surrealist painter (d. 1996).
- September 6 – Korczak Ziolkowski, Polish-American sculptor (d. 1982).
- October 1 – Nicholas Marsicano, American painter (d. 1991).
- October 21 – Jorge Oteiza, Spanish sculptor, painter, designer and writer (d. 2003).
- October 27 – Lee Krasner, American abstract expressionist painter (d. 1984).
- November 4 – EQ Nicholson, born Elsie Q. Myers, English textile designer and painter (d. 1992).
- November 19 – Gisèle Freund, born Gisela Freund, German-born photographer (d. 2000).
- December 3 – Victor Pasmore, English artist and architect (d. 1998).
- December 23 – Yousuf Karsh, Armenian-Canadian photographer (d. 2002).
Full date unknown
- January 13 – Hashimoto Gahō, Japanese painter of the Kanō school (b. 1835)
- April 13 – Aasta Hansteen, Norwegian painter, writer, and early feminist (b. 1824)
- June 1 – Allen Butler Talcott, American painter (b. 1867)
- August 30 – Giovanni Fattori, Italian painter and printmaker (b. 1825)
- November 4 – Richard Gerstl, Austrian painter and draughtsman (b. 1883)
- November 24 – Charles Henry Turner, American watercolourist and oil painter (b. 1848)
- December 5 – Ernest Hébert, painter (b. 1817)
- December 27 – František Bohumír Zvěřina, Czech painter (b. 1835)
- date unknown