1909 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1909 in France.
- 20 February - The Futurist Manifesto, written by Italian Filippo Marinetti, is published in Le Figaro.
- 18 April - Joan of Arc is beatified in Rome.
- 25 July - Louis Bleriot is the first man to fly across the English Channel in a heavier-than-air craft.
- 5 July - Tour de France begins.
- 1 August - Tour de France ends, won by François Faber of Luxembourg.
January to March
- 3 February - André Cayatte, filmmaker (died 1989).
- 3 February - Simone Weil, philosopher and social activist (died 1943).
- 10 February - Henri Alekan, cinematographer (died 2001).
- 7 March - Léo Malet, novelist (died 1996).
- 14 March - Pierre Cloarec, cyclist (died 1994).
- 14 March - André Pieyre de Mandiargues, writer (died 1991).
- 31 March - Robert Brasillach, author, executed for collaboration (died 1945).
April to June
- 7 April - Robert Charroux, writer (died 1978).
- 17 April - Alain Poher, politician (died 1996).
- 22 April - André Girard, civil servant and Resistance worker (died 1993).
- 11 May - René Bousquet, civil servant, served as secretary general of the Vichy regime police (died 1993).
- 21 May - Guy de Rothschild, banker (died 2007).
- 17 June - Régine Pernoud, historian and medievalist (died 1998).
- 19 June - Robert Défossé, soccer player (died 1973).
July to September
- 6 July - Jean Taris, swimmer and Olympic medallist (died 1977).
- 8 July - Louis Finot, international soccer player (died 1996).
- 13 July - Marie-Thérèse Walter, mistress of Pablo Picasso (died 1977).
- 15 July - Jean Hamburger, physician, surgeon and essayist (died 1992).
- 26 July - Bernard Cornut-Gentille, administrator and politician (died 1992).
- 5 August - Pierre Guillaumat, politician and Minister (died 1991).
- 11 August - Gaston Litaize, organist and composer (died 1991).
- 25 September - Marc-Gilbert Sauvajon, film director, script-writer, playwright and author (died 1985).
- 27 September - Pascal Themanlys, poet, zionist, and Kabbalist (died 2000).
- 29 September - Jules Merviel, cyclist (died 1976).
- September - Henri Déricourt, pilot and accused double agent (died 1962).
October to December
- 11 October - François Tanguy-Prigent, politician and resistance fighter (died 1970).
- 5 November - Pierre Repp, humorist and actor (died 1986).
- 29 November - Jean Leguay, civil servant, accomplice of the Deportation of Jews from France (died 1989).
- 2 December - Pierre Langlais, military officer (died 1988).
Full date unknown
- Marcel Barral, poet (died 1997).
- Claude Bourdet, writer, journalist and politician (died 1996).
- Claude Cahen, orientalist (died 1991).
- Marie-Madeleine Fourcade, French Resistance leader (born 1989).
- Pierre La Mure, author (died 1976).
- Raymond Oliver, chef and restaurateur (died 1990).
- Michel Tapié, artist, critic, curator and art collector (died 1987).
- Pauline Trigère, fashion designer (died 2002).
- 18 March - Cécile Bruyère, abbess (born 1845).
- 28 May - Désiré-Magloire Bourneville, neurologist (born 1840).