1911 New Zealand rugby league tour of Australia
The trip earned the NZRL ₤3000 profit, thanks to ₤4000 from gate takings. The tour served as a selection for the 1911-12 Australasian tour of Great Britain and resulted in the selection of George A. Gillett, Arthur Francis, Charlie Savory and Frank Woodward on that tour.
The touring party included backs; Ernie Asher, Ernie Buckland, Sid Kean, Ronald MacDonald, Frank Morse, Roy Siddells, George Smith, Reg Sprague, Barney Winder, Frank Woodward, forwards; Charles Dunning, Tom Cotterill, Bert Feary, Arthur Francis, Dave Mason, Walter Milne, Jim Rukutai, Charles Savory, Alex Stanaway and utilities; George A. Gillett and George Seagar.
Jim Gilmour and former All Black Billy Mitchell joined the team while in Australia. Mitchell had been bought over to Australia to play in the Queensland Rugby League competition. Gilmour played for Queensland before joining the New Zealand side.
|New South Wales||Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney||Loss||10-35||46,000|
|New South Wales||Sydney||Loss||10-26|
|Queensland||Brisbane Cricket Ground, Brisbane||Win||24-13|
|New South Wales||Sydney||Loss||7-39|
The first match against New South Wales was the first match of rugby league held at the Sydney Cricket Ground and netted the New South Wales Rugby League a record gate receipts of ₤2551 and 10 shillings.
- John Coffey and Bernie Wood, The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League, Hodder Moa, Auckland, 2007, p.p. 42-45.
- W.J.Davidson Rugby League Annual - 1949, New Zealand Rugby League, 1949
- Coffey, John. Canterbury XIII, Christchurch, 1987.
- Coffey, John and Bernie Wood Auckland, 100 years of rugby league, 1909-2009, 2009. ISBN 9781869693664.
- When Blues & Maroons Saw Black 1908.com