1911 in South Africa
|1911 in South Africa|
|1908 1909 1910 « 1911 » 1912 1913 1914|
- 18 – Lusitania, a Portuguese 5,557 ton passenger liner, strikes Bellows Rock just off Cape Point en route from Mozambique to Lisbon and sinks. Only 8 out of the 774 people on board lost their lives.
- 22 – A passenger train from Port Alfred derails on the Blaauwkrantz Bridge and plunges into the ravine 200 feet (61 metres) below, killing 31 and seriously injuring 23.:80-83
- 27 – Louis Botha and James Hertzog establish the South African Party.
- 8 January – Esther Susanna Mentz, soprano and actress, is born in Edenville, Orange Free State.
- Lillian Masediba Ngoyi, "Ma Ngoyi", dressmaker, political activist and trade unionist, is born in Gamatlala near Pretoria.
- 4 February – Piet Cronjé, Boer General, dies in Potchefstroom at the age of 74.
- 28 May – Rev S.J. du Toit, pioneer of the Afrikaans language, dies in Paarl.
Shortly before being amalgamated into the South African Railways, the Natal Government Railways places the first two of seven 4-6-2 Pacific narrow gauge tank steam locomotives in service. On the SAR they would become the Class NG4.:101-102, 110
Two new Cape gauge locomotive types enter service on the Central South African Railways (CSAR):
- Nine 2-6-6-2 Mallet articulated compound steam locomotives. In 1912 they would be designated Class MF by the SAR.:16–19, 140:86-87
- A single experimental 2-6-6-2 Mallet. In 1912 it would become the sole Class MG on the SAR.:16–18, 140:87
- Holland, D.F. (1971). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways, Volume 1: 1859-1910 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. ISBN 978-0-7153-5382-0.
- The South African Railways - Historical Survey. Editor George Hart, Publisher Bill Hart, Sponsored by Dorbyl Ltd., Published c. 1978, p. 24.
- Heritage Portal: The Port Alfred to Grahamstown Railway
- The Port Alfred Kowie Railway 1883-1913
- Holland, D.F. (1972). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways, Volume 2: 1910-1955 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. ISBN 978-0-7153-5427-8.
- Paxton, Leith; Bourne, David (1985). Locomotives of the South African Railways (1st ed.). Cape Town: Struik. ISBN 0869772112.