1917 in film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in film (table)|
|... 1907 . 1908 . 1909 . 1910 . 1911 . 1912 . 1913 ...
1914 1915 1916 -1917- 1918 1919 1920
... 1921 . 1922 . 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 . 1927 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
|Years in film|
The year 1917 in film involved some significant events.
- Foundation of Universum Film AG (UƒA), as a propaganda film company, in Berlin.
- Technicolor System 1, a two-color process, is introduced. The first film to use it was The Gulf Between.
- World's first feature-length animated film is made in Argentina by Quirino Cristiani (El Apóstol)
- Movette, another revision of the 17.5 mm film format, is made available.
- Buster Keaton makes his film debut.
- April 25 - Thomas Lincoln Tally, in a meeting in New York, co-founds the First National Exhibitors Circuit.
Top grossing films (U.S.) 
|2.||Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm|
|3.||The Poor Little Rich Girl|
Notable films released in 1917 
- The Adventurer, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- All Aboard, a Harold Lloyd short
- The Bad Boy, starring Robert Harron, Mildred Harris, Colleen Moore
- Bestia (aka The Polish Dancer), starring Pola Negri - (Poland)
- Big Timber
- Bucking Broadway, directed by John Ford, starring Harry Carey
- The Butcher Boy, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short (Keaton's film debut).
- Camille, starring Theda Bara
- Cleopatra, starring Theda Bara
- The Colonel (Az Ezredes), directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Bela Lugosi - (Hungary)
- Coney Island, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- The Cure, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- Dombey and Son directed by Maurice Elvey and starring Hayford Hobbs - (GB)
- The Dying Swan (Umirayushchii Lebed) - (U.S.S.R.)
- Easy Street, starring Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance
- El Apóstol (The Apostle), animated by Quirino Cristiani - (Argentina)
- Fear directed by Robert Wiene and starring Conrad Veidt - (Germany)
- Frank Hansen's Fortune directed by Viggo Larsen - (Germany)
- The Gay Lord Quex directed by Maurice Elvey and starring Ben Webster and Irene Vanbrugh - (GB)
- Golden Rule Kate, a drama western starring Louise Glaum
- Great Expectations, starring Jack Pickford
- The Gulf Between, All color movie.
- Harrison and Barrison, directed by Alexander Korda, starring Márton Rátkai - (Hungary)
- Her Right to Live, directed by Paul Scardon, starring Peggy Hyland, Antonio Moreno, Mae Costello, John S. Robertson
- His Wedding Night, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- The Immigrant, starring Charlie Chaplin and Edna Purviance
- A Kentucky Cinderella, starring Ruth Clifford
- The Labour Leader, directed by Thomas Bentley, starring Owen Nares, Fay Compton - (GB)
- The Little American, starring Mary Pickford; directed by Cecil B. DeMille.
- A Little Princess, directed by Marshall Neilan, starring Mary Pickford, Norman Kerry, ZaSu Pitts
- A Man There Was (Terje Vigen), directed by Victor Sjöström - (Sweden)
- The Man Without a Country, starring Florence La Badie
- The Marriage of Luise Rohrbach, directed by Rudolf Biebrach, starring Henny Porten, Emil Jannings - (Germany)
- Oh Doctor!, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- One Law for Both directed by Ivan Abramson
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray) - (Germany)
- The Poor Little Rich Girl, starring Mary Pickford
- Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, starring Mary Pickford
- A Reckless Romeo, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle short.
- A Romance of the Redwoods, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, starring Mary Pickford
- The Rough House, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- Satan Triumphant (Satana likuyushchiy) - (U.S.S.R.)
- Souls Triumphant, starring Lillian Gish
- Straight Shooting, directed by John Ford
- Teddy at the Throttle, a Keystone comedy starring Gloria Swanson
- Thaïs - (Italy)
- Tom Sawyer, starring Jack Pickford
- The Tornado, directed by John Ford (his debut)
- The Torture of Silence (Mater Dolorosa), directed by Abel Gance - (France)
- Wild and Woolly, starring Douglas Fairbanks
Comedy film series 
- Harold Lloyd (1913–1938)
- Charlie Chaplin (1914–1940)
- Lupino Lane (1915–1939)
- Buster Keaton (1917–1944)
- January 5 - Jane Wyman, actress (died 2007)
- January 2 - Vera Zorina, dancer, actress (died 2003)
- January 10 - Hilde Krahl, actress (died 1999)
- January 24 - Ernest Borgnine, actor (died 2012)
- February 6 - Zsa Zsa Gabor, actress
- February 21 - Lucille Bremer, actress (died 1996)
- March 12 - Googie Withers, actress (died 2011)
- March 22 - Virginia Grey, actress (died 2004)
- April 14 - Valerie Hobson, actress (died 1998)
- April 29 - Maya Deren, experimental filmmaker (died 1961)
- May 1 - Danielle Darrieux, actress
- May 10 - Margo, actress (died 1985)
- May 21 - Raymond Burr, actor (died 1993)
- May 25 - Steve Cochran, actor (died 1965)
- June 7 - Dean Martin, singer, actor (died 1995)
- April 29 - Celeste Holm, actress (died 2012)
- June 30 - Lena Horne, singer, actress (died 2010)
- July 17 - Phyllis Diller, comedian, actress (died 2012)
- August 6 - Robert Mitchum, actor (died 1997)
- August 25 - Mel Ferrer, actor (died 2008)
- September 9 - Rolf Wenkhaus, actor (died 1942)
- September 11 - Herbert Lom, actor (died 2012)
- October 7 - June Allyson, actress (died 2006)
- October 7 - Helmut Dantine, actor (died 1982)
- October 17 - Alice Pearce, actress (died 1966)
- October 17 - Marsha Hunt, U.S. actress
- October 22 - Joan Fontaine, actress
- November 2 - Ann Rutherford, actress (died 2012)
- November 4 - Virginia Field, actress (died 1992)
- December 7 - Hurd Hatfield, actor (died 1998)
- December 22 - Frankie Darro, actor (died 1976)
- February 21 - Fred Mace, American actor & comedian
- March 6 - Valdemar Psilander, Danish actor
- July 2 - Herbert Beerbohm Tree, English stage & screen actor
- October 13 - Florence La Badie, American actress
- October 25 - Jack Standing, English actor
- December 20 - Eric Campbell, English actor
Film debuts 
- Marion Davies
- Vittorio De Sica
- Richard Dix
- Elsie Ferguson
- John Ford - director
- Mary Garden
- Buster Keaton
- Stan Laurel
- Bela Lugosi
- ZaSu Pitts
- Marjorie Rambeau
- Loretta Young