1918 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1908 . 1909 . 1910 . 1911 . 1912 . 1913 . 1914 ...
1915 1916 1917 -1918- 1919 1920 1921
... 1922 . 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 . 1927 . 1928 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- March – C. R. W. Nevinson has an exhibition at the Leicester Galleries in London. His war painting Paths of Glory, condemned by the British Army censor for its depiction of dead soldiers, is displayed by the artist with a brown paper strip across the bodies bearing the word "Censored".
- May – Stanley Spencer, a serving British Army soldier, is appointed as an official war artist. A similar appointment is made this year for Australian soldier Frank R. Crozier.
- May 3 – William Orpen's exhibition War opens in London; the paintings are donated to the British government. He is knighted in June.
- June 18 – Pablo Picasso marries Olga Khoklova.
- June – Alfred Stieglitz begins nude photography of Georgia O'Keeffe.
- October 15 – Kunsthalle Bern opened.
- December 3 – Founding of the November Group of expressionist artists.
- Denver Art Museum opens its first galleries.
- Joan Miró gives his first solo exhibition at the Dalmau Gallery; his work is ridiculed and defaced.
- Frans Masereel's wordless novel 25 Images of a Man's Passion is published.
See also: Category:1918 sculptures
- George Bellows
- Victor David Brenner – Mary Schenley Memorial Fountain (Philadelphia)
- Charles Demuth – Turkish Bath with self-portrait
- Katherine Sophie Dreier – Abstract Portrait of Marcel Duchamp
- Eric Enstrom – Grace (photograph)
- Roger Fry
- Nina Hamnett
- Georges Gardet – Eternal Youth (gilded sculpture on Manitoba Legislative Building)
- Mark Gertler – The Pool at Garsington
- J. W. Godward
- A Fond Farewell
- Sweet Sounds
- George Grosz – The Funeral
- Paul Klee
- Flower Myth
- Warning of the Ships
- Fernand Léger – Bargeman
- Wyndham Lewis – A Canadian Gun-Pit
- José Malhoa – Autumn
- Amedeo Modigliani – Portrait of Blaise Cendrars
- Alfred Munnings
- Draft Horses, Lumber Mill in the Forest of Dreux
- Kaita Murayama – Self-portrait
- John Nash
- The Cornfield
- Over The Top
- Paul Nash – We Are Making A New World
- William Orpen
- Willard Dryden Paddock – Sundial, Boy With Spider
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- William Strang – Lady with a Red Hat
- Viktor Vasnetsov – Frog Princess
- Francis Derwent Wood – Canada's Golgotha (bronze)
- William Lionel Wyllie – Battle of the Falkland Islands, 1914
January to June
- 6 February – Lothar-Günther Buchheim, German author, painter, and art collector (d. 2007).
- 7 February – Markey Robinson, Irish painter (d. 1999).
- 12 March – Elaine de Kooning, American abstract expressionist painter (d. 1989).
- 10 April – Cornell Capa, Hungarian-American photographer and photo curator (d. 2008).
- 9 May – Kyffin Williams, Welsh landscape painter (d. 2006).
July to December
- 11 July – Roy Krenkel, American illustrator (d. 1983).
- 25 July – Jane Frank, American painter, sculptor, mixed media artist and textile artist (d. 1986).
- 8 August – Brian Stonehouse, English painter and Special Operations Executive agent during World War II (d. 1998).
- 22 September – Cleve Gray, American Abstract expressionist painter (d. 2004).
- 7 October – Mimmo Rotella, Italian artist and poet (d. 2006).
- 8 November – Hermann Zapf, German typeface designer.
- 14 December – Jack Cole, American comic book artist.
- January 7 – Rista Vukanović, Serbian Impressionist painter and husband of painter Beta Vukanović (b. 1873)
- February 6 – Gustav Klimt, Austrian Symbolist painter (b. 1862)
- April 9 – Niko Pirosmani, Georgian painter (b. 1862)
- April 1 – Isaac Rosenberg, English painter and poet (b. 1890)
- April 23 – Paul Sébillot, Breton painter and author (b. 1842)
- May 19 – Ferdinand Hodler, Swiss painter (b. 1853)
- June 28 – Albert Henry Munsell, American inventor of the Munsell color system (b. 1858)
- October 9 – Raymond Duchamp-Villon, French sculptor (b. 1876)
- October 30 – Egon Schiele, Austrian painter (b. 1890)
- December 22 – Charles Edward Perugini, English painter (b. 1839)