1919 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1909 . 1910 . 1911 . 1912 . 1913 . 1914 . 1915 ...
1916 1917 1918 -1919- 1920 1921 1922
... 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 . 1927 . 1928 . 1929 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Walter Gropius founds the Bauhaus.
- Seven and Five Society established in London.
- Piet Mondrian, in Paris, begins painting his grid-based compositions (Neo-Plasticism).
- Musée Rodin opens in Paris at the Hôtel Biron and Villa des Brillants, Meudon.
- Les Champs Magnétiques, the first book produced using the techniques of surrealist automatism, is written by André Breton and Philippe Soupault.
- Publication in England of W. Somerset Maugham's novel The Moon and Sixpence, loosely based on the life of Paul Gauguin.
- Max Beckmann - The Night
- Harry Clarke - illustrations to Tales of Mystery & Imagination
- Evelyn De Morgan - The Gilded Cage
- Marcel Duchamp - L.H.O.O.Q.
- Aleksandra Ekster - City at Night
- Max Ernst
- Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven - Portrait of Marcel Duchamp (sculpture of found objects)
- Colin Gill - Heavy Artillery
- Elioth Gruner - Spring Frost
- Hannah Höch - Schnitt mit dem Küchenmesser DADA durch die letzte weimarer Bierbauchkulturepoche Deutschlands ("Cut with the Dada Kitchen Knife through the Last Weimar Beer-Belly Cultural Epoch in Germany"; collage)
- Augustus John - Marchesa Casati
- Henry Lamb - Irish troops in the Judean hills surprised by a Turkish bombardment
- Fernand Léger
- Ivor Lewis - Timothy Eaton statues
- Wyndham Lewis - A Battery Shelled
- David Low - Strange, I seem to hear a child weeping (political cartoon)
- Henri Matisse - Les plumes blanches ("White Plumes")
- Claude Monet - paintings in Water Lilies series
- Paul Nash - The Menin Road
- C. R. W. Nevinson - The Harvest of Battle
- Sir William Orpen
- A Peace Conference at the Quai d'Orsay
- The Signing of the Peace in the Hall of Mirrors, Versailles, 28th June 1919
- Pablo Picasso - Still Life with Pitcher and Apples
- John Singer Sargent - Gassed
- Zinaida Serebriakova - House of Cards
- Stanley Spencer - Travoys with Wounded Soldiers Arriving at a Dressing Station at Smol, Macedonia, September 1916
- Edward Wadsworth - Dazzle-Ships in Drydock at Liverpool
January to June
- January 5 - Frederick Hammersley, American painter (d.2009)
- January 19 - Joan Brossa, Catalan poet, playwright, graphic designer and plastic artist (d.1998)
- January 22 - John Russell, British American art critic (d.2008)
- January 24 - William Copley, American artist (d.1996)
- March 23 - Salvatore Scarpitta, American sculptor (d.2007)
- April 9 - Gordon Lambert, Irish art collector (d.2005)
- April 24 - César Manrique, Spanish artist and architect (d.1992)
- May 3 - John Cullen Murphy, American comics artist (d.2004)
- May 9 - Anne Yeats, Irish painter and stage designer (d.2001)
- June 21 - Jean Joyet, French artist (d.1994)
July to December
- July 6 - Oswaldo Guayasamín, Ecuadorian painter and sculptor (d.1999)
- July 17 - Jean Leymarie, French art historian (d.2006)
- July 18 - Daniel du Janerand, French painter (d.1990)
- July 31 - Maurice Boitel, French painter (d.2007)
- September 29 - Vladimír Vašíček, Czech painter (d.2003)
- November 3 - Jesús Blasco, Spanish comic books author and artist (d.1995)
- November 11 - Jef Friboulet, French painter and sculptor (d.2003)
- December 24 - Pierre Soulages, "painter of black"
Full date unknown
- January 22 - Carl Larsson, Swedish painter (b. 1853)
- February 18 - Antonin Carlès, sculptor (b. 1851)
- February 27 - Robert Harris, painter (b. 1848)
- March 24 - Franz Metzner, sculptor (b. 1870)
- March 25 - Wilhelm Lehmbruck, German sculptor (b. 1881)
- May 13 - Helen Hyde. etcher and engraver (b. 1868)
- August 9 - Ralph Albert Blakelock, American painter (b. 1847)
- November 18 - John Dibblee Crace, interior decorator (b. 1838)
- December 2 - Henry Clay Frick, founder of the Frick Collection (b. 1849)
- December 3 - Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French Impressionist painter (b. 1841)
- December 18 - James Coutts Michie, painter b. 1859)
- date unknown