1920 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1920.
- March 1 – Control of American railroads is returned to private ownership and administration with the disbandment of the USRA.
- March 18 – Fruit Growers Express (FGE) is incorporated.
- May 15 – The Ministry of Railways of Japan is established.
- June 13 – Baltimore and Ohio Railroad inaugurates passenger service to Detroit's Fort Street Union Depot as the first passenger train departs for Washington, DC.
- November – H. P. M. Beames succeeds Charles Bowen-Cooke as Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London and North Western Railway.
- November 20 – Work begins on the State Railway of Thailand to convert all 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) track to meter gauge.
Unknown date events
- William Sproule succeeds Julius Kruttschnitt as president of the Southern Pacific Company, parent company of the Southern Pacific Railroad. This is Sproule's second term as president.
- Government of India accepts recommendation of Sir William Acworth's East India Railway Committee that the government should take over management of the country's railways.
- April 16 – Alan Pegler, British railway preservationist, is born (d. 2012).
- April 17 – James B. McCahey, Jr., president of Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad (died 1998).
- July 22 – William Kissam Vanderbilt, heir to Cornelius Vanderbilt and president of the New York Central system (born 1849).
- October 18 – Charles Bowen-Cooke, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London and North Western Railway 1909–1920 (born 1859).
- November 17 – T. Jefferson Coolidge, president of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway 1880–1881 (born 1831).
- December 1 - Edward Ponsonby, director for London, Brighton and South Coast Railway beginning in 1895 and chairman of same 1908-1920, dies (b. 1851).
- "The Cincinnati Subway System". Ohio Exploration. Retrieved January 28, 2010.
- MichiganRailroads.com, Railroad history timeline – 1920–1929. Retrieved June 13, 2005.
- State Railway of Thailand, Historical background. Retrieved November 20, 2005.
- "Railway Statistics 2008" (pdf). Norwegian National Rail Administration. 2009. p. 34. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- Saxena, R. P. (2008). "Indian Railway History Time Line". Retrieved December 23, 2009.
- The Political Graveyard (March 10, 2005), Politicians in Railroading in Illinois. Retrieved December 30, 2005.
- "Politicians in Railroading in Massachusetts". The Political Graveyard. March 10, 2005. Retrieved December 29, 2005.