1922 Open Championship
|Dates||22–23 June 1922|
|Course(s)||Royal St George's Golf Club|
The 1922 Open Championship was the 57th Open Championship, played 22–23 June at Royal St George's Golf Club in Sandwich, England. Walter Hagen became the first American-born winner of the Open Championship, one stroke ahead of runners-up Jim Barnes and George Duncan. It was the first of Hagen's four Open Championships and the fourth of his eleven major titles.
Qualifying took place on 19–20 June. Entries played 18 holes at St. George's and 18 holes at Prince's. The top 80 and ties qualified. The qualifying score was 161 and exactly 80 players qualified. Walter Hagen and Joe Kirkwood led the qualifiers on 147.
Hagen, the winner over Barnes in the PGA Championship finals in 1921, was the 36-hole leader at 149, two strokes ahead of Duncan, Barnes, and five-time champion J.H. Taylor. In the third round, defending champion Jock Hutchison shot 73 and moved to the lead, one shot ahead of Taylor and Jean Gassiat, and two shots over Hagen and Barnes. Despite a seven on the fourth hole, Hutchison carded a 36 on the front nine of the final round, but a 40 on the final nine led to a 76 and a fourth place finish. Hagen and Barnes battled for the championship, but Barnes' 73 was one off Hagen's 72, his lowest round of the championship. Duncan, the 1920 champion, shot an 81 in the third round and fell six strokes back into a tie for tenth, then rebounded with a 69 in the afternoon to climb the leaderboard and tie Barnes for second. Taylor and Gassiat shot high scores in the final round and dropped to sixth and seventh, respectively.
Friday, 23 June 1922
|1||Walter Hagen||United States||76-73-79-72=300||£75|
|T2||Jim Barnes||England||75-76-77-73=301||£32 10s|
|4||Jock Hutchison||United States||79-74-73-76=302||£15|
|7||Jean Gassiat||France||75-78-74-79=306||£7 10s|
|T8||Harry Vardon||Jersey||79-79-74-75=307||£6 5s|
|Thomas Walton||United Kingdom||75-78-77-77=307|
- "Media guide". The Open Championship. 2011. p. 117. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "British golf title won by Walter Hagen". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. 24 June 1922. p. 6. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "The Open Golf Championship - Qualifying Scores". The Times. 21 June 1922. p. 7.
- "Walter Hagen captures British golf title". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 24 June 1922. p. 8. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Hagen is sure winner, belief". Milwaukee Sentinel. United Press. 23 June 1922. p. 9. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Brenner, Morgan G. (2009). The Majors of Golf: Complete Results of the Open, the U.S. Open, the PGA Championship and the Masters, 1860-2008 1. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-3360-5.