1922 World Series
Crowd at the Polo Grounds for Game 1
|Radio:||Series coverage was carried by Westinghouse Broadcasting and available to any commercially operated radio station.|
|Radio announcers:||Grantland Rice and W. O. McGeehan|
|Umpires:||Bill Klem (NL), George Hildebrand (AL), Barry McCormick (NL), Brick Owens (AL)|
|Hall of Famers:||Umpire: Bill Klem
Giants: John McGraw (mgr.), Dave Bancroft, Frankie Frisch, George Kelly, Casey Stengel‡, Ross Youngs.
Yankees: Miller Huggins (mgr.), Frank Baker, Babe Ruth, Waite Hoyt.
‡ elected as a manager.
In the 1922 World Series, the New York Giants beat the New York Yankees in five games (four games to none with one tie; starting this year the World Series was again best-of-seven). By now, the term "World Series" was being used frequently, as opposed to "World's Series".
The Giants pitched around Babe Ruth and scored just enough runs to win each of the games outside of the controversial Game 2 tie. That game was called on account of darkness, but many thought there was sufficient light to have played some more innings (the sun was still in the sky), and there were some suspicions that one or both teams might have "allowed" the tie to happen to increase the overall gate receipts. Commissioner Landis was among those who was dissatisfied with the result. One story is that Landis asked Umpire Hildebrand, "Why the Sam Hill did you call the game?" The umpire answered, "There was a temporary haze on the field." The game decision was in the hands of the umpires, but the Commissioner's Office controlled the gate receipts. Landis ordered the money, more than $120,000, turned over to World War I charities, thus nullifying any impropriety. The tied game would turn out to be the third (and final) tied game in the history of the World Series. The other two tied games occurred in 1907 and 1912. No ties are possible under later rules, which allow for suspension of a tied game and resumption of it at a later date, as with Game 5 of the 2008 World Series.
This would prove to be Giants' manager John McGraw's third and final World Series win.
|1||October 4||New York Yankees – 2, New York Giants – 3||Polo Grounds (IV)||2:08||36,514|
|2||October 5||New York Giants – 3, New York Yankees – 3 (10 innings)||Polo Grounds (IV)||2:40||37,020|
|3||October 6||New York Yankees – 0, New York Giants – 3||Polo Grounds (IV)||1:48||37,630|
|4||October 7||New York Giants – 4, New York Yankees – 3||Polo Grounds (IV)||1:41||36,242|
|5||October 8||New York Yankees – 3, New York Giants – 5||Polo Grounds (IV)||2:00||38,551|
Game 1 
|New York (AL)||0||0||0||0||0||1||1||0||0||2||7||0|
|New York (NL)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||X||3||11||3|
|WP: Rosy Ryan (1–0) LP: Bullet Joe Bush (0–1)|
Game 2 
|New York (NL)||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||8||1|
|New York (AL)||1||0||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||3||8||0|
NYG: Irish Meusel (1)
NYY: Aaron Ward (1)
Game 3 
|New York (AL)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||1|
|New York (NL)||0||0||2||0||0||0||1||0||X||3||12||1|
|WP: Jack Scott (1–0) LP: Waite Hoyt (0–1)|
Game 4 
|New York (NL)||0||0||0||0||4||0||0||0||0||4||9||1|
|New York (AL)||2||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||3||8||0|
|WP: Hugh McQuillan (1–0) LP: Carl Mays (0–1)
NYY: Aaron Ward (2)
Game 5 
|New York (AL)||1||0||0||0||1||0||1||0||0||3||5||0|
|New York (NL)||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||3||X||5||10||0|
|WP: Art Nehf (1–0) LP: Bullet Joe Bush (0–2)|
Composite line score 
|New York Giants||3||2||2||0||4||0||1||6||0||0||18||50||6|
|New York Yankees||4||0||0||1||1||1||3||1||0||0||11||32||1|
|Total attendance: 185,957 Average attendance: 37,191
Winning player's share: $4,546 Losing player's share: $2,843
- "1922 World Series Game 1 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "1922 World Series Game 2 - New York Giants vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "1922 World Series Game 3 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "1922 World Series Game 4 - New York Giants vs. New York Yankees". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "1922 World Series Game 5 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants". Retrosheet. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- Cohen, Richard M.; Neft, David S. (1990). The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903–1989. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 93–96. ISBN 0-312-03960-3.
- Reichler, Joseph (1982). The Baseball Encyclopedia (5th ed.). MacMillian Publishing. p. 2130. ISBN 0-02-579010-2.
- 1922 World Series at WorldSeries.com (MLB.com)
- 1922 World Series at Baseball Almanac
- 1922 World Series at Baseball-Reference.com
- The 1922 Post-Season Games (box scores and play-by-play) at Retrosheet
- History of the World Series - 1922 at The SportingNews. Archived from the original on 2008.