1927 Open Championship
|Dates||13–15 July 1927|
|Location||St Andrews, Scotland|
|Course(s)||Old Course at St Andrews|
|Field||108 players, 54 after cut|
|Bobby Jones (a)|
The 1927 Open Championship was the 62nd Open Championship, held 13–15 July at the Old Course at St Andrews in St Andrews, Scotland. Amateur Bobby Jones successfully defended the title with a dominating six-stroke victory, the second of his three victories at the Open Championship.
Jones, age 25, returned to St Andrews to make amends for his first experience on the course; six years earlier he walked off the course in the third round of the 1921 Open. He shot 68 (−5) in the first round on Wednesday, three clear of the rest of the field, and after a second round 72 was at 140 (−5), two shots ahead of Bert Hodson and four clear of Joe Kirkwood, Sr. Hodson ballooned to 81 (+8) in the third round on Friday morning, and Jones closed with rounds of 73 and 72 to post a total of 285, a new tournament record. Aubrey Boomer and Fred Robson tied for second place, six shots back.
In this era there were no exemptions, not even for the defending champion, and Jones had to qualify with the rest of the field. The 36-hole qualifier was held on Monday and Tuesday on the Old and New courses, and reduced the field for the tournament proper to the top hundred, plus ties. In heavy rain early that flooded the bunkers, Jones shot 76 on Monday at the Old Course and 71 on Tuesday at the New Course for 147, three strokes behind the low qualifier, Cyril Tolley, the 1920 (and 1929) British Amateur champion.
Friday, 15 July 1927
|1||Bobby Jones (a)||United States||68-72-73-72=285||−7|
|T4||Joe Kirkwood, Sr.||Australia||72-72-75-74=293||+1|
|Philip Perkins (a)||England||76-78-70-76=300|
|Philip Rodgers||United Kingdom||76-73-74-77=300|
|W. B. Torrance (a)||United Kingdom||72-80-74-74=300|
|Roland Vickers||United Kingdom||75-75-77-73=300|
|Tom Williamson||United Kingdom||75-76-78-71=300|
- (a) denotes amateur
- "Jones makes history in Open victory". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 16 July 1927. p. 11. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Media guide". The Open Championship. 2011. p. 110. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Jones leads Open field with record 68". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 14 July 1927. p. 11. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Jones registers 72 to keep advantage in British Open". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 15 July 1927. p. 11. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Jones trails Mehlhorn in Open". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 12 July 1927. p. 9. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Cyril Tolley leads British Open golf tourney". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. 12 July 1927. p. 16. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Mehlhorn with 146 leads Yank qualifier in Open". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. 13 July 1927. p. 9. Retrieved 16 May 2013.