1927 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1917 . 1918 . 1919 . 1920 . 1921 . 1922 . 1923 ...
1924 1925 1926 -1927- 1928 1929 1930
... 1931 . 1932 . 1933 . 1934 . 1935 . 1936 . 1937 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- May - Stanley Spencer moves to Burghclere (England) to work on the Sandham Memorial Chapel.
- May 16 - A pair of oval rooms built at the Musée de l'Orangerie in Paris as a permanent home for eight of Monet's water lily paintings is opened by the Government of France.
- July 24 - Unveiling of Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing at Ypres, Belgium, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
- October 4 - Gutzon Borglum begins work on Mount Rushmore National Memorial in the United States.
- November - Ferens Art Gallery in Kingston upon Hull, England, opens.
- Clarice Cliff introduces her 'Bizarre' pottery decoration.
- Aristide Colotte opens his studio in Nancy, France, where he produces glasswork and carved crystal statues.
- February - Stanley Spencer has his first solo exhibition, at the Goupil Gallery in London.
- April–May - Ben and Winifred Nicholson and Christopher Wood exhibit at the Beaux Arts Gallery in London.
- Alice Prin ("Kiki de Montparnasse") has an exhibition of her own paintings at the Galerie au Sacre du Printemps in Paris.
- Salvador Dalí - Apparatus and Hand
- Max Ernst
- George Grosz - Self-Portrait, Warning
- Edward Hopper - Automat
- Gaston Lachaise - Floating Figure
- Fernand Léger - Nude on a Red Background
- Will Longstaff - Menin Gate at Midnight
- L. S. Lowry
- Coming Out of School
- Oldfield Road Dwellings, Salford
- Peel Park, Salford
- A View from the Bridge
- René Magritte
- The Enchanted Pose
- The Menaced Assassin
- Henri Matisse - Reclining Nude, Back
- Dod Procter - Morning
- Lasar Segall - Portrait of Mário de Andrade
- Stanley Spencer - The Resurrection, Cookham
- Lajos Tihanyi - Portrait of Tristan Tzara (Hungarian National Gallery)
- Rex Whistler - The Expedition in Pursuit of Rare Meats (mural, Tate Gallery restaurant, London)
January to June
- January 1 - Jean-Paul Mousseau, Canadian artist (d.1991).
- March 13 - Robert Denning, American interior designer (d.2005)
- March 19 - Gisèle Lestrange, French graphic artist (d.1991)
- April 6 - Joash Woodrow, English artist (d.2006)
- April 16 - John Chamberlain, sculptor
- May 5 - Eva Fuka, photographer
- June 29 - Dick Martin, illustrator (d. 1990)
July to December
- July 14 - Mike Esposito, comic book artist
- July 24 - Robert Rosenblum, American Art Historian (d.2006).
- August 23 - Allan Kaprow, American painter, assemblagist and art theorist (d.2006)
- September 22 - Norbert Lynton, British art historian and Professor of the History of Art (d.2007)
- October 3 - Kenojuak Ashevak, Inuit artist
- October 4 - Wolf Kahn, painter
- October 29
- November 2 - Steve Ditko, comic book artist
- November 23 - Guy Davenport, American writer, translator, illustrator, painter and teacher (d.2005)
- December 24 - John Glashan, Scottish cartoonist, illustrator and playwright (d.1999)
- January 1 - Isabelle de Steiger, painter, theosophist, occultist and writer (b. 1836)
- January 15 - Harald Giersing, painter (b. 1881)
- February 28 - Sir Luke Fildes, painter and illustrator (b. 1843)
- March 23 - Paul César Helleu, portrait painter (b. 1859)
- May 10 - Andrea Gram, painter (b. 1853)
- May 11 - Juan Gris, painter (b. 1887)
- May 28 - Boris Kustodiev, painter and stage designer (b. 1878)
- June 26 - Armand Guillaumin, impressionist painter and lithographer (b. 1841)
- June 28 - Otto Bache, painter of historical subjects (b. 1839)
- July 10 - Louise Abbéma, Impressionist painter (b. 1858)
- August 4 - Eugène Atget, photographer (b. 1857)
- August 18 - Sascha Schneider, painter and sculptor (b. 1870)
- September 19 - Michael Ancher, painter (b. 1849)
- October 7 - Paul Sérusier, abstract painter (b. 1864)
- November 21 - Laurits Tuxen, painter (b. 1853)
- November 25 - József Rippl-Rónai, painter (b. 1861)
- date unknown