1929 NSWRFL season
|1929 New South Wales Rugby Football League|
|Premiers||South Sydney (9th title)|
|Minor premiers||South Sydney (8th title)|
|Points scored||1942 (total)
25.893 (per match)
|Top point scorer(s)||Jim Craig (86)|
|Top try scorer(s)||Alan Brady (11)|
The 1929 New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership was the 22nd season of Sydney's top-level rugby league football competition, Australia's first. During the season, which lasted from April until September, nine teams from across Sydney contested the premiership, culminating in a South Sydney's win over Newtown in the final.
Half of the 1929 season was played without several of the League's top players who were selected to embark on the 1929–30 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain. South Sydney winning their ninth premiership, over Newtown in the Final.
- Balmain, formed on January 23, 1908 at Balmain Town Hall
- Eastern Suburbs, formed on January 24, 1908 at Paddington Town Hall
- Glebe, formed on January 9, 1908
- Newtown, formed on January 8, 1908
- North Sydney, formed on February 7, 1908
- South Sydney, formed on January 17, 1908 at Redfern Town Hall
- St. George, formed on November 8, 1920 at Kogarah School of Arts
- Western Suburbs, formed on February 4, 1908
- University, formed in 1919 at Sydney University
Ground: Earl Park
|Date and Time||Venue||Referee||Crowd|
|Newtown||8-7||St. George||7 September 1929||Earl Park||7,000|
|South Sydney||22-10||Western Suburbs||7 September 1929||Sydney Sports Ground||Lal Deane||14,774|
|South Sydney||30-10||Newtown||14 September 1929||Sydney Sports Ground||Lal Deane||16,360|
South Sydney took their fifth successive title outgunning Newtown 30-10 after leading 18-2 at half-time.
The Whiticker/Collis reference quotes Sydney's Labor Daily in praise of Souths' win: "Newtown faced inevitable defeat, and while the margin was large, it hardly demonstrated South Sydney's superiority. They were on top from the start and gave a scintillating display both in combination and individual effort. Alf Blair played probably the greatest game in his long career".
South Sydney 30 (Tries: Blair 3, Williams 3, F. O'Connor, A O'Connor. Goals: Blair 2, Williams)
Newtown 10 (Tries: Edwards 2. Goals: Casey 2)
- Whiticker, Alan & Collis, Ian (2006) The History of Rugby League Clubs, New Holland, Sydney
- Rugby League Tables - Season 1929 The World of Rugby League
- Results: 1921-30 at rabbitohs.com.au