1929 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1929 in India.
- 6 January - Mother Teresa arrives Kolkata to work amongst India's poorest and diseased people
- 29 December - All India Congress in Lahore demands Indian independence.
- The radical nationalists, led by Jawaharlal Nehru, push through the National Congress a resolution calling for virtual independence within a year.
- Bombay Flying Club is founded by JRD Tata.
- 29 March - Utpal Dutt, actor, director and writer (died 1993).
- 24 April - Rajkumar, actor and singer (died 2006).
- 1 June - Nargis, actress (died 1981).
- 6 June - Sunil Dutt, Bollywood actor and producer (died 2005)
- 15 June - Suraiya, actress and singer (died 2004).
- 20 July - Rajendra Kumar, actor and producer (died 1999).
- 25 July - Somnath Chatterjee, politician and Speaker of the 14th Lok Sabha.
- 4 August - Kishore Kumar, playback singer, actor, lyricist, composer, producer, director, screenwriter and scriptwriter (died 1987).
- 6 September - Yash Johar, film producer (died 2004).
- 28 September - Lata Mangeshkar, "Bharatratna", internationally acclaimed playback singer,actor, lyricist, composer, producer.
Full date unknown
- Mohammed Eeza, scholar and writer (died 1999).
- Altaf Fatima, novelist.
- P. Lal, poet, essayist, translator, professor and publisher.