1930 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1930.
- January 1 – The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway, Indiana, Columbus and Eastern and the Lima-Toledo Railroad merge to form the Cincinnati and Lake Erie Railroad
- January 31 – Trains begin using the new elevated tracks and platform at Toronto Union Station.
- February 18 – The Pullman Company buys the Osgood Bradley Car Company, which has been making trolley and other transit cars since 1833.
- February 24 – The Standard Steel Car Company is incorporated as a Pullman subsidiary.
- March 13–14 – Blue Train Races: Woolf Barnato driving his Speed Six Blue Train Bentley saloon races Le Train Bleu from Cannes. He is parked at his London club before the train arrives at Calais Gare Maritime.
- March 30 – Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad inaugurates The Sportsman passenger service.
- April 21 – The Turkestan–Siberia Railway is completed.
- May 6 – The Drammen Line in Norway takes electric traction into use between Drammen and Brakerøya.
- June 20 – General Motors purchases Winton Engine, a major supplier of diesel locomotive prime movers.
- June 25 – The Glacier Express first runs between St. Moritz and Zermatt in Switzerland following completion of the metre gauge link between Brig and Visp.
- July – The Atlantic City Railroad (a predecessor of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines) purchases the Wildwood and Delaware Bay Short Line Railroad.
- December 18 – Bombay Central station opened by Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway.
- December 31 – General Motors buys Electro-Motive Corporation and combines it with Winton Engine to form General Motors Electro-Motive Division..
Unknown date events
- February 3 – Charles S. Roberts, American railroad historian, is born (d. 2010).
Unknown date births
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)|
- "Significant dates in Canadian railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. 2005-08-16. Archived from the original on 2 February 2006. Retrieved 2006-01-30.
- Rivanna Chapter National Railway Historical Society. "This month in railroad history: March". Archived from the original on 17 April 2006. Retrieved 2006-03-29.
- "Railway Statistics 2008" (pdf). Norwegian National Rail Administration. 2009. p. 34. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- Moser, Beat; Börret, Ralph; Küstner, Thomas (2005). Glacier Express: Von St. Moritz nach Zermatt (in German). Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany: Eisenbahn-Journal (Verlagsgruppe Bahn GmbH). p. 102. ISBN 3-89610-057-2.
- Saxena, R. P. (2008). "Indian Railway History Time Line". Retrieved 2009-12-23.