1933 Toronto Argonauts season
|1933 Toronto Argonauts season|
|Head coach||Lew Hayman|
|Home field||Varsity Stadium|
|Division place||2nd, IRFU|
|Playoff finish||Won 21st Grey Cup|
The 1933 Toronto Argonauts season was the 47th season for the team since the franchise's inception in 1873. The team finished in second place in the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union with a 4–2–0 record and qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 1922. The ten-year drought was, and continues to be, the longest playoff drought in franchise history. In the playoffs, the Argonauts defeated the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers in a two-game total-points IRFU Final series before winning the Grey Cup Semi-Final over the Winnipeg 'Pegs. The Argonauts faced the Sarnia Imperials in the 21st Grey Cup game, which was the first, and thus far only, championship game to be played in Sarnia, Ontario. The Argonauts won the franchise's third Grey Cup championship by a score of 4-3, which ties for the lowest scoring Grey Cup game ever.
|Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||6||4||2||0||67||55||8|
|Ottawa Rough Riders||6||3||3||0||61||75||6|
|1||Oct 7||Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||L 18–14||0–1–0|
|2||Oct 14||Ottawa Rough Riders||L 14–0||0–2–0|
|3||Oct 21||Hamilton Tigers||W 21–2||1–2–0|
|4||Oct 28||Hamilton Tigers||W 11–5||2–2–0|
|5||Nov 4||Ottawa Rough Riders||W 21–4||3–2–0|
|6||Nov 11||Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||W 11–10||4–2–0|
|IRFU Final Game 1||Nov 18||Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||Hamilton Amateur Athletic Association Grounds||W 5–4|
|IRFU Final Game 2||Nov 25||Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers||Percival Molson Memorial Stadium||W 15–5|
|Grey Cup Semi-Final||Dec 2||Winnipeg 'Pegs||Varsity Stadium||W 13–0|
|Grey Cup||Dec 9||Sarnia Imperials||Davis Field||W 4–3|
December 9 @ Davis Field (Attendance: 2,751)
- "All-Time Coaching". Toronto Argonauts. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Toronto Argonauts Stadium History". Toronto Argonauts. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- 2009 Canadian Football League Facts, Figures & Records, Canadian Football League Properties/Publications, Toronto, Ontario, ISBN 978-0-9739425-4-5, p.293
- "1933". cflapedia.com. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "The Toronto Argonauts’ 1933 Season". Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "1933 Grey Cup Recap". Canadian Football League. Retrieved 2012-04-18.