1933 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 . 1927 . 1928 . 1929 ...
1930 1931 1932 -1933- 1934 1935 1936
... 1937 . 1938 . 1939 . 1940 . 1941 . 1942 . 1943 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- January 12 - George Grosz emigrates from Nazi Germany to the United States.
- February/March - Käthe Kollwitz is forced by the Nazi Party to resign from the faculty of the Academy of Arts.
- April - Closure of the Bauhaus.
- Black Mountain College founded by John Andrew Rice.
- The mural, Man at the Crossroads, by Diego Rivera, is removed from the Rockefeller Center in New York because it contains a portrait of Lenin.
- Hans Bellmer produces his first Doll sculpture.
- Barbara Hepworth and John Skeaping are divorced; Hepworth is already in a relationship with Ben Nicholson.
- Paul Nash and other young British artists form the group Unit One to promote modernism in Britain.
- Kenneth Clark appointed Director of the National Gallery, London, at age 30.
- Tarsila do Amaral - Operarios
- Jacob Epstein
- C. Paul Jennewein
- André Kertész - Distortions (photographs)
- René Magritte - The Human Condition (first version)
- Pablo Picasso - Minotaur Kneeling over Sleeping Girl (etching)
- Percy Shakespeare
- A Mulatto
- John Skeaping - Horse (sculpture in mahogany and pynkado, originally in Whipsnade Zoo; now in Tate Gallery)
January to June
- February 8 - Richard Allen (abstract artist) British minimalist Op, Pop, Geometric painter and printmaker (d. 1999)
- 18 February - Yoko Ono, Japanese-born sculptor, filmmaker, installation artist and musician.
- 4 March - John W. Mills, English sculptor.
- 1 April - Dan Flavin, American minimalist artist (d.1996).
- 9 April - René Burri, Swiss photographer.
- 11 June - Harald Szeemann, Swiss curator and art historian (d.2005).
- 12 June - Eddie Adams, American Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer (d.2004).
July to December
- 8 July - Jeff Nuttall, English poet, publisher, actor, painter and sculptor (d.2004).
- 18 July - Cécile Guillame, first woman who engraved French postal stamps (d.2004).
- 18 August - Michael Baxandall, Welsh art historian (d.2008).
- 29 August - Sorel Etrog, sculptor.
- November 8 - Lothar Fischer, German sculptor (d.2004).
- November 18
- November 29 - James Rosenquist, painter and muralist
- November 30 - Sam Gilliam, painter
- December 14 - Bapu, cartoonist and painter
Full date of birth unknown
- Ansgar Elde, Swedish ceramic artist (d.2000).
- John Stuart Ingle, watercolorist.
- Alison Knowles, Fluxus performance artist, sound artist, papermaker and printmaker
- Michael Noakes, portrait painter
- Mark di Suvero, sculptor.
- January 10 - Margaret MacDonald, designer (b. 1865)
- January 17 - Louis Comfort Tiffany, American stained glass artist (b. 1848)
- February 28 - Lilla Cabot Perry, Impressionist painter (b. 1848)
- March 10 - Émile André, architect and designer (b. 1871)
- April 16 - Harold Peto, architect and garden designer (b. 1854)
- May 6 - François Pompon, sculptor (b. 1856)
- May 25 - James E. Kelly, sculptor and illustrator (b. 1855)
- June 14 - Hans Prinzhorn, art historian
- August 5 - Charles Harold Davis, painter (b. 1856)
- August 8 - Adolf Loos, Modernist architect
- October 2 - Elizabeth Thompson, British painter (b. 1846)
- October 24 - Annie Swynnerton, English painter (b. 1844)
- October 26 - José Malhoa, painter
- October 29 - George Benjamin Luks, portrait painter
- November 12 - F. Holland Day, photographer (b. 1864)
- November 14 - Thomas Hayton Mawson, garden designer
- November 15 - Émile-Jacques Ruhlmann, furniture designer (b. 1879)
- November 19 - Louise Jopling, English painter (b. 1843)
- date unknown