1937 in British television
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in British television (table)|
|... 1927 . 1928 . 1929 . 1930 . 1931 . 1932 . 1933 ...
1934 1935 1936 -1937- 1938 1939 1940
... 1941 . 1942 . 1943 . 1944 . 1945 . 1946 . 1947 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
This is a list of events related to British television in 1937.
- 6 February – The BBC Television Service drops the Baird system in favour of the Marconi-EMI 405 lines system.
- 12 May – The BBC use their outside broadcast unit for the first time, to televise the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. A fragment of this broadcast is one of the earliest surviving examples of British television – filmed off-screen at home by an engineer with an 8 mm cine camera. A short section of this footage was used in a programme during the week of the 1953 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, and this latter programme survives in the BBC's archives.
- 14 May – The BBC Television Service broadcasts a thirty-minute excerpt of Twelfth Night, the first known instance of a Shakespeare play on television. Among the cast are Peggy Ashcroft and Greer Garson.
- 18 June – Broadcast of the Agatha Christie play Wasp's Nest, the only instance of Christie adapting one of her works for television, a medium she later came to dislike.
- 21 June – Wimbledon Championships (tennis) first shown on the BBC Television Service.
- 11 November – The BBC Television Service broadcasts an adaptation of the World War I-set play Journey's End by R. C. Sherriff, starring Reginald Tate as Stanhope. Shown in commemoration of Armistice Day, it is the first time that a whole evening's programming has been given over to a single play.
- 31 December – 2,121 television sets have been sold in England.
- Picture Page (1936–1939, 1946–1952).
- 1 January – Anne Aubrey, actor
- 30 January – Vanessa Redgrave, actress
- 25 February – Tom Courtenay, actor
- 11 April – Jill Gascoigne, actress and novelist
- 12 May – Susan Hampshire, actress
- 19 May - Pat Roach, actor and wrestler (died 2004)
- 5 August – Carla Lane, television comedy writer
- 6 August – Barbara Windsor, actress
- 18 August – Willie Rushton, comedian, actor and writer (died 1996)
- 2 September – Derek Fowlds, actor
- 9 October – Brian Blessed, actor
- 17 November – Peter Cook, comedian and writer (died 1995)