1937 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1937 in India.
- Provincial autonomy begins with Congress winning power in many states.
- 20 February - Completion of election to legislative assemblies.
- 1 April - Provincial autonomy began; Burma and Aden are separated from India.
- 13 September - The new Viceroy's speech is boycotted by Congress.
- University of Kerla was set up.
- Bicameral legislature of Assam province came into existence in 1937.
- All India Football Federation was established
January to June
- 2 January - Chandrashekhara Kambara, poet, playwright, folklorist and film director.
- 22 February - Sabitri Chatterjee, actress.
- 9 June - Ramchandra Gandhi, philosopher, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi (died 2007).
- 24 June - Anita Desai, novelist.
July to December
- 24 July - Manoj Kumar, actor and director.
- 6 November - Yashwant Sinha, politician and Minister.
- 8 November - Bharath Gopi, actor, director and producer (died 2008).
- 3 December - Binod Bihari Verma, writer (died 2003).
- 28 December - Ratan Tata, businessman, Chairman of the Tata Group.
Full date unknown
- 23 November - Jagadish Chandra Bose, physicist, biologist, botanist, archaeologist and science fiction writer (born 1858).
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263
|This year in India article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|