1937 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in science (table)|
|... 1927 . 1928 . 1929 . 1930 . 1931 . 1932 . 1933 ...
1934 1935 1936 -1937- 1938 1939 1940
... 1941 . 1942 . 1943 . 1944 . 1945 . 1946 . 1947 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- June 8 - First total solar eclipse to exceed 7 minutes of totality in over 800 years; visible in the Pacific and Peru.
- Carlo Perrier and Emilio Segrè at the University of Palermo confirm discovery of the chemical element which will become known as Technetium.
- The opioid Methadone is synthesized in Germany by scientists working at Hoechst AG.
- Claude Shannon's Master's thesis at MIT demonstrates that electronic application of Boolean algebra could construct and resolve any logical numerical relationship.
- Konrad Zuse submits patents in Germany based on his Z1 computer design anticipating von Neumann architecture.
- British Graham Land Expedition (1934–1937) concludes its work, having determined that Graham Land is an integral part of the Antarctic Peninsula and not an independent archipelago.
- Bruno de Finetti publishes "La Prévision: ses lois logiques, ses sources subjectives" in Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincaré, his most influential treatment of his theorem on exchangeable sequences of random variables.
- Hans Freudenthal proves the Freudenthal suspension theorem in homotopy.
- Italian psychiatrist Amarro Fiamberti is the first to document a transorbital approach to the brain, which becomes the basis for the controversial medical procedure of transorbital lobotomy.
- Publication in the United Kingdom of Dr A. J. Cronin's novel The Citadel, promoting the cause of socialised medicine.
- April 12 - Frank Whittle ground-tests the first jet engine designed to power an aircraft, at Rugby, England.
- June 5 - Alan Blumlein is granted a patent for an ultra-linear amplifier.
- Alec Reeves invents pulse-code modulation.
- Nobel Prizes
- Copley Medal - Henry Dale
- Wollaston Medal for geology - Waldemar Lindgren
- May 9 - Alison Jolly (died 2014), American primatologist.
- June 11 - David Mumford, American mathematician.
- July 19 - Bibb Latané, American social psychologist.
- January 28 - Arthur Pollen (born 1866), English inventor.
- May 28 - Alfred Adler (born 1870), Austrian psychotherapist.
- June 11 - R. J. Mitchell (born 1895), English aeronautical engineer.
- July 20 - Guglielmo Marconi (born 1874), Italian inventor.
- October 16 - William Sealy Gosset (born 1876), English statistician.
- November 23 - Jagadish Chandra Bose (born 1858), Bengali physicist.
- Chapman, Arthur B. (1987). "Jay Laurence Lush". Biographical Memoirs (United States: National Academy of Sciences) 57: 279. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Heiserman, D. L. (1992). "Element 43: Technetium". Exploring Chemical Elements and their Compounds. New York: TAB Books. p. 164. ISBN 0-8306-3018-X.
- Emsley, John (2001). Nature's Building Blocks: an A-Z Guide to the Elements. Oxford University Press. p. 424. ISBN 0-19-850340-7.
- Perrier, C.; Segrè, E. (1947). "Technetium: the Element of Atomic Number 43". Nature 159 (4027): 24. Bibcode:1947Natur.159...24P. doi:10.1038/159024a0. PMID 20279068.
- Bockmuhl, M. (1948). "Über eine neue Klasse von analgetisch wirkenden Verbindungen". Ann. Chem. 52: 561.
- Poundstone, William (2005). "Fortune's Formula: the Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street". New York: Hill & Wang. ISBN 0-8090-4637-7.
- "British Graham Land Expedition, 1934-37". Cambridge: Scott Polar Research Institute. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Crilly, Tony (2007). 50 Mathematical Ideas you really need to know. London: Quercus. p. 128. ISBN 978-1-84724-008-8.
- Whitehead, George W. (1953). "On the Freudenthal Theorems". Annals of Mathematics 57 (2): 209–228. doi:10.2307/1969855. JSTOR 1969855. MR 0055683.
- "An expectant public". 60 years of NHS Scotland. 2008. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- Wigner, E. (1937). "On the Consequences of the Symmetry of the Nuclear Hamiltonian on the Spectroscopy of Nuclei". Physical Review 51 (2): 106–119. Bibcode:1937PhRv...51..106W. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.51.106.
- U.K. Patent No. 496,883.