1937 in sports
1937 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 7th FIS Alpine World Ski Championships are held at Chamonix, France. The events are a downhill, a slalom and a combined race in both the men's and women's categories. The winners are:
- Men's Downhill – Emile Allais (France)
- Men's Slalom – Emile Allais (France)
- Men's Combined – Emile Allais (France)
- Women's Downhill – Christl Cranz (Germany)
- Women's Slalom – Christl Cranz (Germany)
- Women's Combined – Christl Cranz (Germany)
- First Cotton Bowl Classic is played in Dallas.
- Washington Redskins win the NFL title in their first year at Washington after moving from Boston. They defeat the Chicago Bears 28–21 in Chicago.
- The Cleveland Rams join the National Football League.
- First Division – Manchester City win the 1936–37 title.
- FA Cup – Sunderland beat Preston North End 3–1.
- Victorian Football League
- World Series – New York Yankees defeat New York Giants, 4–1.
- Hall of Fame election – Continuing toward the goal of 10 initial inductees from the 20th century, voters select Nap Lajoie, Tris Speaker and Cy Young. A special committee selects managers Connie Mack and John McGraw, former league presidents Morgan Bulkeley and Ban Johnson, and pioneer shortstop/promoter George Wright. Selections of 19th century players are postponed.
- Major professional basketball returns with the formation of the National Basketball League.
- Eurobasket 1937 – Lithuania win the second European basketball championship.
- The fifth South American Basketball Championship in Valparaíso and Santiago is won by Chile.
- The first NAIA Men's Division I basketball tournament played in Kansas City.
- 22 June – Joe Louis defeats James J. Braddock at Chicago by an eighth round knockout to win the World Heavyweight Championship.
- 30 August – in his first title defence, Louis defeats Tommy Farr at Bronx on a fifteen round decision
Lineal world champions
- World Heavyweight Championship – James J. Braddock → Joe Louis
- World Light Heavyweight Championship – John Henry Lewis
- World Middleweight Championship – vacant
- World Welterweight Championship – Barney Ross
- World Lightweight Championship – Lou Ambers
- World Featherweight Championship – vacant → Henry Armstrong
- World Bantamweight Championship – Sixto Escobar → Harry Jeffra
- World Flyweight Championship – vacant → Benny Lynch
- World Figure Skating Championships –
- Masters Tournament – Byron Nelson
- PGA Championship – Denny Shute
- U.S. Open – Ralph Guldahl
- British Open – Henry Cotton
- Australia – Melbourne Cup won by
- Canada – Queen's Plate won by
- France – Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe won by
- Ireland – Irish Derby Stakes won by
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- April 15 - The Detroit Red Wings defeat the New York Rangers 3–0 to win the 1937 Stanley Cup Final
- April 17 - The Winnipeg Monarchs defeat the Copper Cliff Redmen 7–0 to win the 1937 Memorial Cup
- European Grand Prix Champion – Rudolf Caracciola
- Wally Parks founds the Road Runners Club, considered to be the start of organised drag racing
FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
The Boat Race
- 1936–37 European Rugby League Championship
- 1937 New Zealand rugby league season
- 1937 NSWRFL season
- 1936–37 Northern Rugby Football League season / 1937–38 Northern Rugby Football League season
Speed Skating World Championships
- Men's All-round Champion – Michael Staksrud (Norway)
- Women's All-round Champion – Laila Schou Nilsen (Norway)
- Australian Men's Singles Championship – Vivian McGrath (Australia) defeats John Bromwich (Australia) 6–3, 1–6, 6–0, 2–6, 6–1
- Australian Women's Singles Championship – Nancye Wynne Bolton (Australia) defeats Emily Hood Westacott (Australia) 6–3, 5–7, 6–4
- Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship – Don Budge (USA) defeats Gottfried von Cramm (Germany) 6–3, 6–4, 6–2
- Wimbledon Women's Singles Championship – Dorothy Round Little (Great Britain) defeats Jadwiga Jedrzejowska (Poland) 6–2, 2–6, 7–5
- French Men's Singles Championship – Henner Henkel (Germany) defeats Bunny Austin (Great Britain) 6–1, 6–4, 6–3
- French Women's Singles Championship – Hilde Krahwinkel Sperling (Germany) defeats Simone Mathieu (France) 6–2, 6–4
- American Men's Singles Championship – Don Budge (USA) defeats Gottfried von Cramm (Germaany) 6–1, 7–9, 6–1, 3–6, 6–1
- American Women's Singles Championship – Anita Lizana (Chile) defeats Jadwiga Jedrzejowska (Poland) 6–4, 6–2
- 1937 International Lawn Tennis Challenge – United States 4–1 Great Britain at Centre Court, Wimbledon (grass) London, United Kingdom
- The New York Yacht Club retains the America's Cup as Ranger defeats British challenger Endeavour II, of the Royal Yacht Squadron, 4 races to 0
- Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year – Don Budge, Tennis
- Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year – Katherine Rawls, Swimming