1938 Bolivarian Games
|I Bolivarian Games|
|Opening ceremony||August 6, 1938|
|Closing ceremony||August 22, 1938|
|Officially opened by||Alfonso López Pumarejo|
|Main venue||Estadio El Campín|
The I Bolivarian Games (Spanish: Juegos Bolivarianos) were a multi-sport event held between August 6–22, 1938, in Bogotá, Colombia, at the Estadio El Campín, for the city's 400th anniversary. The Games were organized by the Bolivarian Sports Organization (ODEBO).
The Games were officially opened by Colombian president Alfonso López Pumarejo, accompanied by Alberto Nariño Cheyne from the Colombian Olympic Committee, Colonel Leopoldo Piedrahita from the local organizing committee, and Gustavo Santos, mayor of the city of Bogotá.
A detailed history of the early editions of the Bolivarian Games between 1938 and 1989 was published in a book written (in Spanish) by José Gamarra Zorrilla, former president of the Bolivian Olympic Committee, and first president (1976-1982) of ODESUR. Gold medal winners from Ecuador were published by the Comité Olímpico Ecuatoriano.
The official posters for the Games were designed by Colombian artist Sergio Trujillo Magnenat.
A total of 716 athletes from 6 countries were reported to participate:
†: Exhibition event.
The list might be incomplete.
The medal count for these Games is tabulated below. This table is sorted by the number of gold medals earned by each country. The number of silver medals is taken into consideration next, and then the number of bronze medals.
|1938 Bolivarian Games Medal Count|
- Gamarra Zorrilla, José, Bolivia Olímpica Capítulos VI al VIII (in Spanish), ANDES Academia del Conocimiento y el Desarrollo "Fernando Diez de Medina", retrieved October 22, 2012
- CUADRO DE MEDALLISTAS ECUATORIANOS EN LA HISTORIA DE LOS J. D. B. POR EDICIÓN (in Spanish), Comité Olímpico Ecuatoriano, retrieved October 22, 2012
- Colección Gumercindo Cuellar - Juegos bolivarianos (in Spanish), La Biblioteca Luis Ángel Arango del Banco de la República, retrieved October 22, 2012
- ECUADOR SE CLASIFICO EN SEGUNDO TERMINO (in Spanish), El Tiempo, August 23, 1938, pp. 4, 7 (original page no.: 6,13), retrieved October 24, 2012
- RESULTADOS GENERALES DE LOS JUEGOS BOLIVARIANOS (in Spanish), El Tiempo, August 23, 1938, pp. 4, 5 (original page no.: 6,7), retrieved October 24, 2012
- Pelota al Guante. Los Equipos de Colombia y Ecuador Juegan Hoy (in Spanish), El Tiempo, August 21, 1938, pp. 5 (original page no.: 9), retrieved October 24, 2012
- RESULTADOS - I Juegos Bolivarianos. Bogotá - Colombia, 1938 (in Spanish), Comité Organizador de los Juegos Deportivos Bolivarianos 2005, retrieved October 22, 2012