1938 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1928 . 1929 . 1930 . 1931 . 1932 . 1933 . 1934 ...
1935 1936 1937 -1938- 1939 1940 1941
... 1942 . 1943 . 1944 . 1945 . 1946 . 1947 . 1948 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1938 in architecture involved some significant events.
- First woman elected to Royal Institute of British Architects, Josephine Miller.
- October 22 - Oxford Playhouse, Oxford, England, designed by Edward Maufe.
- October 29 - City Hall, Norwich, England, designed by C. H. James and S. R. Pierce.
- November 14 - Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- The Reich Chancellery in Berlin, designed by Albert Speer (rebuilt).
- Great Mosque of Asmara in Italian Eritrea, designed by Guido Ferrazza.
- Metro Theatre (Toronto), designed by Kaplan and Sprachman.
- Metropolitan Water Board Laboratories, London, designed by Howard Robertson.
- Palace of Fine and Decorative Arts, Treasure Island, San Francisco Bay, California, USA, designed by George W. Kelham and William Peyton Day.
- Palace of Justice, Lima, Peru.
- City Hall, Mar del Plata, Argentina, designed by Alejandro Bustillo.
- Manchester Town Hall Extension, England, designed by Vincent Harris in 1927.
- São Bento Palace, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Helsinki Olympic Stadium, Finland, designed by Yrjö Lindegren and Toivo Jäntti.
- Charters House, Berkshire, England, designed by Adie, Button and Partners.
- Houses in Hampshire, Sussex and at Eton, Berkshire in England by Marcel Breuer and F. R. S. Yorke.
- Gropius House, Lincoln, Massachusetts, designed by Walter Gropius with Marcel Breuer.
- Josephine M. Hagerty House, Cohasset, Massachusetts, designed by Walter Gropius with Marcel Breuer.
- Construction work begins on
- Lewis Mumford - The Culture of Cities
- AIA Gold Medal - Paul Philippe Cret
- RIBA Royal Gold Medal - Ivar Tengbom
- Grand Prix de Rome, architecture: Henry Bernard
- April 16 - Wolf Hilbertz, German-born futurist architect, inventor and marine scientist (died 2007)
- July 10 - Paul Andreu, French airport architect
- July 14 - Moshe Safdie, Israeli/Canadian architect, urban designer, educator, theorist and author
- November 30 - Andrea Branzi, Italian architect and designer
- February 25 - W. D. Caröe, English-born ecclesiastical architect (born 1857)
- October 30 - Charles Klauder, American architect (born 1872)