1941 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1931 . 1932 . 1933 . 1934 . 1935 . 1936 . 1937 ...
1938 1939 1940 -1941- 1942 1943 1944
... 1945 . 1946 . 1947 . 1948 . 1949 . 1950 . 1951 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- October 24 - English artist Brian Stonehouse is captured as a Special Operations Executive agent in France.
- October 31 - Work ceases on sculpting Mount Rushmore National Memorial in the United States, continued by Lincoln Borglum after the death in March of his father Gutzon Borglum.
- Ettore DeGrazia's work appears for the first time in Arizona Highways magazine.
- Indiana University Art Museum established in Bloomington.
- The Art Center in La Jolla established in California.
- Ansel Adams - Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico (photograph)
- Max Beckmann - Double Portrait, Max Beckmann and Quappi
- Peter Belov - 1941 ("Large Stalin and Red Army")
- Paul Cadmus - Aviator
- Paul Delvaux - The Phases of the Moon
- Jacob Epstein - Jacob and the Angel (alabaster sculpture, 1940–1)
- Ivon Hitchens
- Yousuf Karsh - The Roaring Lion (photographic portrait of Winston Churchill)
- Dame Laura Knight - In For Repairs
- Roberto Matta
- Composition Abstraite
- Ecouter Vivre
- The Initiation (Origine d’un Extrême)
- Invasion of the Night
- Théorie de l’Arbre
- Paul Nash
- Battle of Britain
- Totes Meer
- John Petts - Alun Lewis
- Pablo Picasso
- Horace Pippin - Self-portrait
- Albin Polasek - Masaryk Memorial, Chicago
- Victor Vasarely - Untitled
- Carel Weight
- April 13 - Jean-Marc Reiser, French comics creator (d.1983)
- May 23 - Martin Puryear, sculptor
- June 7 - Tony Ray-Jones, English photographer (d.1972)
- July 12 - Richard Tuttle, sculptor, painter and installation artist
- July 22 - Vaughn Bodé, American underground comics, graphic design and graffiti artist (d.1975)
- August 29 - Ugo Nespolo, painter
- September 20 - Dale Chihuly, glass sculptor
- September 24 - Linda McCartney, photographer (d. 1998)
- December 6 - Bruce Nauman, installation artist and video artist
- date unknown
- January 10 - John Lavery, Irish painter and war artist (b. 1856)
- February 6 - Maximilien Luce, French painter (b. 1858)
- March 6 - Gutzon Borglum, American sculptor (b. 1867)
- March 30 - Bertha Jaques, American etcher (b. 1863)
- April 14 - Guillermo Kahlo, photographer (b. 1871)
- October 25 - Robert Delaunay, French painter (b. 1885)
- November 7 - Frank Pick, English transport administrator and patron of art and design (b. 1878)
- December 3 - Pavel Filonov, Russian painter and poet (b. 1883)
- December 5 - Amrita Sher-Gil, Indian painter (b. 1913)
- December 30 - El Lissitzky, Russian designer, architect and photographer (b. 1890)
- date unknown - William Jacob Baer, American miniature painter (b. 1860)