1942 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1942 in India.
- March - Freedom fighter Jawaharlal Nehru's daughter Indira marries a Parsi lawyer and freedom fighter, Feroze Gandhi against her father's wishes.
- The Cripps mission's proposals are rejected by Congress.
- 8 August - Quit India resolution was passed by the Bombay session of the AICC, which led to the start of a historical civil disobedience movement across India.
- 9 August - Indian leader, Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces.
- August - Newly married couple Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi are arrested for their participation in Quit India movement.
- 16 October - Hurricane and flooding in Bombay: 40,000 dead.
- 14 January - Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal, Chief Justice of India.
- 10 February - Madhabi Mukherjee, actress.
- 21 February - Jayshree Gadkar, actress (died 2008).
- 11 March - Amarinder Singh, politician and former Chief Minister of Punjab.
- 2 April - Roshan Seth, actor.
- 19 August - Bungle Shama Rao Dwarakanath, actor.
- 2 October - Asha Parekh, actress, director and producer.
- 11 October - Amitabh Bachchan, actor.
- 29 December - Rajesh Khanna, actor.
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263