1942 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1932 . 1933 . 1934 . 1935 . 1936 . 1937 . 1938 ...
1939 1940 1941 -1942- 1943 1944 1945
... 1946 . 1947 . 1948 . 1949 . 1950 . 1951 . 1952 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- February 15 - Singapore surrenders to Japanese forces. Among the British troops captured is illustrator Ronald Searle.
- March 28–29 - Bombing of St. Mary's Church, Lübeck, destroys Adriaen Isenbrandt's Bröhmse triptych, Jacob van Utrecht's Trinity Altar, Friedrich Overbeck's Entrance of Christ into Jerusalem and Bernt Notke's Gregorsmesse and replica Totentanz, but reveals medieval frescos.
- Salvador Dalí publishes his autobiography, The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí
- Rita Angus - Portrait (Betty Curnow)
- Pierre Bonnard - Red Roofs in Cannet
- Paul-Émile Borduas - Abstraction No 7
- Marie Hadad - Portrait of Mr. Dahesh (Dahesh Museum of Art)
- Edward Hopper - Nighthawks (Art Institute of Chicago)
- Dame Laura Knight - A Balloon Site, Coventry
- Roberto Matta
- The Apples we Know
- Composition in Magenta: The End of Everything
- The Disasters of Mysticism
- The Hanged Man
- Paul Nash - The Archer
- Méret Oppenheim - Sun, Moon, Stars
- Pablo Picasso
- Diego Rivera - The Flower Seller
- Ruskin Spear - We Can Take It
- Dorothea Tanning - Birthday (Philadelphia Museum of Art)
- Carel Weight - Recruit's Progress - Medical Inspection
- Philip Zec - The price of petrol has been increased by one penny – Official (political cartoon)
- January 8 - George Passmore, artist partnering with Gilbert (Proesch)
- February 10 - Lawrence Weiner, conceptual artist
- March 2 - Jonathan Borofsky, painter, sculptor, installation artist
- March 31 - Dan Graham, conceptual artist, performance artist
- October 6 - Dan Christensen, American abstract painter (d.2007).
- October 29 - Bob Ross, American painter and television presenter (d.1995).
- November 7 - Stan Rice, American poet and artist (d.2002).
- date unknown
- January - Albert Moulton Foweraker, English painter (b. 1873)
- January 5 - Tina Modotti, Italian photographer and model (b. 1896)
- January 22 - Walter Sickert, British Impressionist painter (b. 1860)
- January 23 - Bogdan Šuput, Serbian painter (b. 1914)
- February 9 - Anna Elizabeth Klumpke, American portrait and genre painter (b. 1856)
- February 12 - Grant Wood, American painter (b. 1892)
- February 20 - Herbert Dicksee, English canine painter (b. 1862)
- April 18 - Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, founder of the Whitney Museum of American Art (b. 1875)
- June 30 - William Henry Jackson, American photographer (b. 1843)
- August 10 - Albert Guillaume, French painter and caricaturist (b. 1873)
- September 7 - Cecilia Beaux, American portrait painter (b. 1855)
- September 9 - Eric Ravilious, English painter (b. 1903) (lost on active service as a war artist)
- November 24 - Bohumil Kafka, Czech sculptor (b. 1878)
- December 19 - T. F. Šimon, Czech painter (b. 1877)
- date unknown