1943 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1943 in India.
- Emperor of India – George VI
- Viceroy of India - Victor Hope, 2nd Marquess of Linlithgow
- Viceroy of India - The Viscount Wavell (from 1 October)
- Bengal famine of 1943
- 10 February - 3 March - Mohandas Gandhi maintains a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment.
- 5 December - The Japanese attack the Port of Kolkata
- 30 December - Subhas Chandra Bose sets up a pro-Japanese Indian government at Port Blair.
January to June
- 1 January - Raghunath Anant Mashelkar, scientist.
- 30 March - J. J. Rawal, astrophysicist and scientific educator.
- 26 May - Manorama, actress.
- 2 June - Ilaiyaraaja, film composer, singer and lyricist.
July to December
- 13 July - E. Harikumar, novelist and short story writer.
- 11 August - Pervez Musharraf, former President of Pakistan.
- 23 September - Tanuja, actress of Bollywood films & younger sister of Nutan.
- 31 October - G. Madhavan Nair, Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- 11 November - Anil Kakodkar, nuclear scientist.